Help, accidently set everything to default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianm

Dabbler
OK, stupid newbie problem. I thought I would ask for help in this section because it really is a newbie goof.
I lost my GUI network connection and couldn't get it back so I foolishly carried out a "Reset to Factory Defaults" at the Console setup page. How was I to know that defaults meant "everything", including my volume and datasets, not just the items listed on the console page ? :oops::oops:

In any case, I have four drives attached in 2x2 mirror with my test data. It won't be a big problem if I have lost all the test data but for the learning experience is there any way of recovering my data?

Brian

danb35

Hall of Famer
How was I to know that defaults meant "everything",
Yes, it's not like the manual explains exactly what that option does:
Reset to Factory Defaults Caution! This option deletes all of the configuration settings made in the administrative GUI and is used to reset a FreeNAS® system back to defaults. Before selecting this option, make a full backup of all data and make sure all encryption keys and passphrases are known! After this option is selected, the configuration is cleared and the system reboots. Storage → Volumes → Import Volume can be used to re-import volumes.

brianm

Dabbler
danb35, point taken of course but I can now say that I am much more practiced in setting up volumes, datasets, shares, groups, users and importing disks than I was a few hours ago. So, probably screwing up can be a valuable exercise. I also had the opportunity to rearrange my dataset layout which was a bit messy after my first attempt.

mOnkey, thanks for the suggestion but after searching around in the shell I am pretty sure my data was lost as far as connectivity goes. It won't do any harm to practice the whole setup procedure again but you can bet that when I have it right I will keep good config backups!

Happy Christmas,
Brian

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am pretty sure my data was lost as far as connectivity goes.
Your shares were gone, your data wasn't/isn't (unless you've since destroyed the pool). If you don't understand the difference between the two, you have a lot of reading to do.

brianm

Dabbler
Thanks danb35. I understand that the data was still on the disks but I could not see the old volume to import it in the GUI. It did not show on shell either. A learning experience to always check the manual if it is available. I certainly do need to learn a lot which is just what I am trying to do and fortunately the forum and good documentation are available. Unfortunately, I am a "hands on" learner and I rarely forget things I have practiced once but I do not learn very well simply reading. Makes the learning experience slow but sure.

Right now I have rebuilt my system and I am working on a new problem, the "SCSI sense: ABORTED COMMAND asc:47,3 (Information unit iuCRC error detected)" warning. It looks as though this warning could have several causes but I recently flashed my H200 with P20 firmware version and I now find out by my investigations that I may have a driver mismatch which could be causing the problem. Apparently V P16 is preferred if I can find it, is this correct? (Dell T110 2, standard mobo, reflashed H200, 32GB memory, 4 2TB in 2x2 mirror).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The firmware you want is 20.0.07, give or take a zero. 16 is super old. And your volume and dataset were not destroyed you just needed to import your pool.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The firmware you want is 20.0.07, give or take a zero.
Since @brianm hasn't indicated what version of FreeNAS he's using, we don't know that this is the case--for some older versions of FreeNAS, P16 was in fact correct.

brianm

Dabbler
Flashing problem solved thank you. I originally used Melloa's system in "Hardware/H200 flash" to flash my H200 but using the 2118IT.bin he supplies the firmware is flashed to 20.00.00.00. Simply substitute 2108IT.bin for the 2118IT.bin in the last phase of the process and the card is flashed to 20.00.07.00 so the file problems go away. Might be a good idea to keep a copy of all the files involved since Broadcomm's support for the LSI parts is not going to last forever. It looks as though 20.00.07.00 might be the last version of the firmware.

Since I only built my system a week or so ago I used Freenas 11.0.U4.

Originally I connected the drives to the SATA ports on the mobo and everything ran absolutely solidly, I can't help thinking that adding an extra link in the chain, the H200, is not really a good idea but it is nice to have the SATA ports free for other uses.

S&L, thank you, I understand I could have rebuilt my volume but since I needed to make some changes to the dataset use in any case I decided to dump the old test data and start again. When I am finished with testing I may just repeat my error and run through the re-install process as you suggest just for the learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.