BUILD Help about the right hardware for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasenalias

Cadet
Hello
I am currently facing several problems in building the first FreeNAS office work
Practical requirements
30TB NAS
The number of people who will connect to the NAS at the same time 25-50 people
Files that will be in the NAS (Media, Microsoft Office software file group (xlsx, word ..)
The benefit of the NAS will put all their data in the device and when they work they will all work on the modification and add.
We would like to build our own NAS
Plus the goal of saving money too
For example a product: WD 32TB My Cloud Pro cost $ 1,650
We want to build NAS with the same capabilities but at a lower cost
The machine can work 24/7 (with excellent cooling)
We would like to have a suitable device size not the size of a full computer!
What are the specifications and suitable parts for us
Thank you so much

tvsjr

Guru
I would suggest you do some reading. Start with the "Resources" tab. There's plenty of good documentation on systems that will work well. I would suggest some used Supermicro gear from eBay.

Inxsible

Guru
You would have to expound on that a bit. Do you need the least amount of footprint? If so, what are the reasons? Do you want a rackmount system? Do you define "full computer" as a ATX tower? or a SFF or a USFF?

Based on the requirements that you have listed, it seems you need a file server. Are you planning on buying everything new, since it's for workplace environment? Or will you be using used equipment?
A couple of options might be :
  1. HP ML10 (cheap - least I have seen is about $160 + cost of HDD)
  2. See my FreeNAS box in my sig.

Inxsible

Guru
You would have to expound on that a bit. Do you need the least amount of footprint? If so, what are the reasons? Do you want a rackmount system? Do you define "full computer" as a ATX tower? or a SFF or a USFF?

Based on the requirements that you have listed, it seems you need a file server. Are you planning on buying everything new, since it's for workplace environment? Or will you be using used equipment?
A couple of options might be : HP ML10 (cheap - least I

yasenalias

Cadet

A couple of options might be : HP ML10 (cheap - least I
Hello
thank you for your reply
If you intend to "footprint" the size of the device
The answer is the products available with large storage capacity and small size, so why we make the same size of storage, but a large size
The transmission reasons will be 6Gb and will be free to expand
Motherboard Most likely ITX will be selected to adopt case size
Concerning ECC Ram
I do not understand why you should be present and why DDR4 is not used
Will 16Gb RAM be enough for 30TB?

Inxsible

Guru
The answer is the products available with large storage capacity and small size, so why we make the same size of storage, but a large size
because larger size gives you 3 advantages.
  1. more room for better airflow = cooler running equipment
  2. option to add additional hardware to make it a better unit by replacing the components
  3. more room for cabling etc.
The transmission reasons will be 6Gb and will be free to expand
??? I don't know what this means.
Concerning ECC Ram
I do not understand why you should be present and why DDR4 is not used
Please read up on ECC and ZFS to know more. You can use DDR4 if you want. It's quite expensive currently which is why most choose to use a DDR3 compatible board.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...and even a couple more:
  • Better selection of hardware--there's a lot more stuff out there in uATX than there is in mITX
  • Lower cost--server-grade ITX gear is expensive.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Looks like other people have already told you, but if you need to hear it again...
If you don't want something the size of a computer, you will have problems with cooling.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What are the specifications and suitable parts for us
I think that you need to do some research to understand what it is that you are looking to build and these guides might help get you started:

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

yasenalias

Cadet
  1. more room for better airflow = cooler running equipment
  2. option to add additional hardware to make it a better unit by replacing the components
  3. more room for cabling etc.

??? I don't know what this means.

Please read up on ECC and ZFS to know more. You can use DDR4 if you want. It's quite expensive currently which is why most choose to use a DDR3 compatible board.

Read about ECC
According to what I read (if the person was speaking correctly)
ECC will not often be very important
The cost of the RAM will not be very important because the cost of the Motherboard will be expensive for the DDR3 ECC

Inxsible

Guru
Read about ECC
According to what I read (if the person was speaking correctly)
ECC will not often be very important
That person was not speaking entirely correctly, IMO. There are various scenarios that can cause irreplaceable loss. Those scenarios may or may not occur to you. But are you willing to take that chance?
The cost of the RAM will not be very important because the cost of the Motherboard will be expensive for the DDR3 ECC
But so will the cost of the motherboard for DDR4 ECC RAMs unless you already have a DDR4 compatible motherboard lying around. Not to mention in the above statement you thought ECC was not required.

From your statements it seems that something is being lost in translation from Arabic to English.

Status
Not open for further replies.