Help choosing appropriate RAM for new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
Looking to build a second FreeNAS box. It will function primarily as a backup for my main NAS box.

I have decided on a Supermicro X9SCM-F Mobo and a Xeon 1220.

The local computer store has in stock 2x Crucial CT51272BA186DJ.

I believe that those will work, as they are DDR3 ECC RAM, but I will still want another 8GB DIMM.

Can somebody verify that the Crucial RAM above will be sufficient (not in quantity)? If so, I will probably just buy another 8GB DIMM of the same RAM, unless anybody knows of a cheaper source of suitable RAM.

kdragon75

Wizard
Supermicro tends to be picky on memory. I have not worked with this particular board but you may want to stick with something on the compatibility list. The memory you pointed out is DDR3-1866 and the CPU only supports up-to DDR3-1333. Most motherboard/RAM combos would just run the RAM at the lower speed but you never know. That or wait until someone can make a recommendation based on experience. Same for mixing DIMM sizes. Make sure the board supports it. On a side note, you may want to look at a 16GB kit if your buying new. This will give you room to grow and keep things matched.

pschatz100

Guru
I have this particular board, and have not had any problems with memory. Just be certain to follow the user guide as to which memory slots to use if you only use two sticks.

I think the newer Supermicro boards are more picky about memory than the older ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.