Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorax2015

Cadet
Hi all. First time trying out freenas.

I have some knowledge of networking, not a huge amount though. Looking to learn as well as set up a nice cheapish nas.

I already managed to set up some shares, now I just need some pointers getting Plex server setup on an offline freenas system.

Cheers all!!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hook it up to the internet and install the plugin or do a standard jail and install manually

Thorax2015

Cadet
Hooking it up to the internet is not really an option unfortunately.

The only access I have is wireless tethering to my mobile phone.

I may be wrong, but can't I add a pbi, upload it to freenas from another computer which does have the internet?

I tried doing this yesterday but after it imported the pbi and automatically created a jail, there was nothing there.

Cheers!

Thorax2015

Cadet
Ahh. So it will need to be connected to the internet somehow..?

So, I need to find a way to share the internet connection from my main PC to freenas somehow.

Not sure I'll be able to do that either.
The nas machine is connection to an offline LAN, netgear router.

I connect to that network wirelessly from any of I use to manage freenas. So I can't connect to the internet AND connect to the nas at the same time.

Absolute nightmare I know.

Cheers!

diedrichg

Wizard
How does the other computer connect to the Internet? What are the components involved with that route?

Thorax2015

Cadet
I have a Huawei P8lite phone. A wireless USB adapter for my main PC, a laptop with built in wireless.

Both of these connect wirelessly to my phone for the internet.

I also have an old netgear router which is just for LAN, it has no internet connectivity. This is what I'm using to connect the freenas machine to. Both my main PC and my laptop connect to this wirelessly, the freenas machine connect via Ethernet.

Cheers!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Keep in mind that Plex needs to reach the Internet to download metadata for your media. So even if you crack the nut of getting it installed without having your server on the Internet, that's going to be an issue.

Thorax2015

Cadet
Is freenas not able to connect wirelessly to the internet then?

If not, I think the easiest method might be to install Linux on the nas machine instead...

Cheers!

Thorax2015

Cadet
I didn't think so. Doesn't make much sense that it would.

So I guess I've got two options.
A router/switch that can connect to my mobile internet.
Or use Linux on the nas.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait a little longer to really try out freenas.

Cheer!

Status
Not open for further replies.