Hello, my name is Adrian and I'm addicted to FreeNAS

How long did it take you to setup your basic NAS system?

• Not long at all - under a day?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never got the stupid thing going...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pairodice

Cadet
I'm trying to figure this all out.
My machine is a home built box consisting of a an AMD Quad core processor, 16GB of ram, two 3TB WD hard drives supposedly setup in a Raid 1 (mirrored) array...
All running on a 8GB Sandisk Cruiser USB thumb drive.
It all seems to boot and run ok but I still can't figure out how to get the volumes setup properly.
Not sure how I am supposed to get Windows 7 Home Edition to connect to backup the wife's laptop or how to get AFP to connect (now that I know what AFP is)...
I tried to setup a share and have an AFP service running but I don't trust this thing to start loading up files.
How can I tell that the second drive in the array is actually getting written to and mirroring properly?
I'm not a Linux/Unix geek but am learning (I'm a long-time Windows geek...).
Thanks for the group and the help!!!
Adrian

gpsguy

Adrian, welcome to the forum!

For answers to your questions, look at the documentation and use the forum search. If you still can't find an answer, try the "Help & Support" forum.

Some of the administrative tasks require you to do them from the command line. You can execute them from the console (on the physical machine), dropping into it from the GUI, or enable SSH and use a client like PuTTy to access it As an example, for your question as to whether you have a mirror, you can see it in the GUI, or, from the console, type: zpool status -v [Note: this is a command you might often use].

If you (and your wife) are Windows user's, I'd start with a CIFS share. The manual has information on setting it up. Getting it working with permissions may be difficult. Do a search of the forums - the answers are there.

Why are you trying to setup AFP? Do you have a Mac?

As far as backing up your wife's laptop, if you are trying to use Windows Backup, it won't work. It's a Microsoft feature (limitation). They only allow network backups with the Pro versions and higher. I've read about work arounds using a VHD and/or 3rd party backup programs.

pairodice

Cadet
Well I found a great tutorial on this site and have my NAS up and running... took about 30 minutes of reading and configuring and now my wife's laptop is backing up (with Acronis backup) via the wireless network to our NAS!
Now I need to get my MacBook Pro (mid 2012) to backup to the NAS, get all of my movies, pictures, files over to the NAS and figure out if the 2nd hard drive is really backing up (thanks to gpsguy for the tips!)...
Oh, and get my movies to stream to my Apple TV3...
then NAS life will be good...

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
First of all, how did you configure your 'RAID1'? Is it hardware RAID or are you using ZFS or UFS? I'm not really sure why you would think the mirror ISNT working.

pairodice

Cadet
I'm using ZFS for Raid 1 - (two 3tb internal hard drives on SATA connectors).
I would love to get the Mac to back up and finally have the drive showing up on the Mac TimeMachine but when I click on it I get an error "Time Machine can’t access the backup disk “applebackup”. The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 13.)"
I went through several sets of instructions but cannot get it to connect :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.