Hello! I'm OliDrouin

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliDrouin

Cadet
Hello!
I'm currently doing my first build and, if you allow me, I think it's a pretty badass one but it's also my first complete build ever. I'm getting ready for the OS installation now that I have fixed some hardware issues that I will tell you about below.
Anyway, the toys are:
- LSI Logic SAS 9207-8i + 2 CableDeconn 0.5M Mini Sas to SATA Forward Breakout Cable
- 2 Seagate ST3000VN007 3TB Iron Wolf
- 2 of CableDeconn Mini Sas to SATA (x4) Forward Breakout Cable
- Silverstone SFF NAS Case (DS380B)
- ASRock E3C236D2I
- Xeon E3-1245v5
- 5 Seagate 3TB Iron Wolf
- 1 WD RED 3 TB
- 1 Noctua Low-Profile Quiet CPU Cooler NH-L9I
- 3 Noctua NF-P12 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan
- Crucial MX300 525GB SSD
- Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 450W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

I'm located in Canada so all of this got expensive but I'm planning on keeping this thing for a long time (10~15 years) so I overbuilt a little bit I think. Everything is priced way higher on amazon.ca in comparison to amazon.com: for example, the power supply is 125$ in Canada + tax + shipping but it's 84$ in the states and I paid 494$ for the CPU and it's listed at 327$ on amazon.com. I probably could have done better price wise but I bought everything in one go and didn't want to wait to piecemeal while waiting for deals.

The issue I had was with the Asrock board, after cabling I didn't have any VGA output. I spoke with Asrock support and they were very helpful and responsive. They made me take pictures of my setup and the CPU pins and the RAM stick. Anyway, I sent them the board (paid by me) and the CPU and the RAM stick so they could check it on their side. They diagnosed as "No POST" which was weird since it was not really what I was experiencing. They found it was caused by a single cpu pin on the board that was sitting "lower" so they just moved it to the right height. They ran a bunch of bootup test that they sent me pictures of and they shipped me back everything (paid by them). So... I plug everything back and still no VGA. At that point I figured out it was a code 18 on that one and found out that I didn't run the cable to the CPU power. It's my first build and I thought that the ATX connector was enough to power everything which was visibly not the case. Anyway, it's not all on me since I sent them high-res pictures of how I cabled everything and they didn't pick on it either. I opened the manual, looked for any power connector beside the ATX one, found it, cabled it, and voilà! Everything is working so far. I have nothing but high praise for Asrock support in North America (so far).

I know the LSI board is detected by the BIOS because I just went into its configuration mode. I'm planning on installing the OS on the SSD without the drive cage connected and I'll go from there.

It's my first post but I read a lot of threads around here before taking out the checkbook so thank you all for an amazing resource.

OliDrouin.

Stux

MVP
DS380B is known to cook HDs. You should do some searching for fan/thermal/duct mods to fix it.

hervon

Patron
Good luck with your project. Je suis de Québec aussi. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.