Hello, I'm running from Synology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxburn

Explorer
So my DS418 just completed a DSM update and rebooted to a failed volume, it says my first two drives were initialized. Was working fine for months and still says everything passes SMART. Previously I exchanged a DS1515+ due to the Intel bug. I think I'm ready for something a little more professional and I'd like to hear what the perfect motherboard for FreeNAS is these days.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm sorry to hear of your Syno issues. I generally like Synology as it seems like one of the stronger vendors for prebuilt NAS, but sometimes problem recovery leaves something to be desired.

The FreeNAS system you end up with won't be quite as "sexy" and small as the Syno, but if you follow the hardware guides, build your system with RAIDZ2 or better, and stick with the released versions (no betas), you'll wind up with a very robust storage system. There are lots of people on the forums who are happy to share their wisdom, and who are happy to advise you on any proposed build you might have. Please take advantage of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.