Hello from Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skro

Contributor
Hi All!

I've been learning/playing with FreeNAS for about a year now and built my system last September. It has been a ton of fun (if I could make it a full time job, I would in a heartbeat)! I'm not new to tech, I've been a Technical Writer for about 17 years, but I still learn something every day. I've been reading the forums for a while now but decided to finally join since I had some issues this week that I think might be a bug, and it was long past time I should have joined.

So far, I have:
  • The NAS that I use for regular backup of my own computers (obviously) and media storage
  • Several jails running Unbound DNS, a Web development server, a database for Kodi, a Plex server, a HDHomerun DVR server, and SVN (which I never did get working)
  • A Ubuntu VM where I run a Warcraft emulator just for family fun
  • A Windows 10 VM where I'm planning on testing Playon in the near future
I still want to learn more about permissions, iocage and security, but as I don't have anything on the NAS open to the outside (I might turn on remote access for Plex if I'm traveling) it isn't an immediate concern.

My next project is to try setting up Comskip (I found a discussion/instructions here on the forums) to use with Plex since their commercial skipping feature isn't available on the FreeBSD version. I also have a MiaB email server running on DigitalOcean that I would like to move to my NAS, but I haven't quite figured out how to forward it (and also the security bit).

That's me and my projects. Cheers!

Sue

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.