Hello FreeNAS world

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcid7236

Cadet
Hi,

My name is DaleB. I live in Florida. I have built computers in the past. I am a database/spreadsheet guy. I am extremely new to FreeNAS. I have read alot of blogs about FreeNAS and so I dove in and I built a server (for a small business) via Youtube. It is up and running, but I don't know how to access it from my house. I had no issues connecting using their wifi.

kdragon75

Wizard
Most people would use a VPN tunnel to do this. What sort of tasks are you looking to accomplish remotely?

gpsguy

Dale, welcome to the forums!

This section is for introductions, not help. Please post you question in an appropriate section, so a wider audience will see it.

Let us know specificly what you are trying to access or what protocol you are trying to use. Are you using a VPN?

elcid7236

Cadet
Most people would use a VPN tunnel to do this. What sort of tasks are you looking to accomplish remotely?
I am sort of their server administrator. I need to be able to access the server gui from my house and the business has two tablets they will need to access from remotely and share files (PDF, DOC, etc)

kdragon75

Wizard
If you getting into the freelance MSP kind of things, I would strongly recommend doing some research on RMM tools. In any case for remote administration a VPN connection is mandatory. If your client is a business that accepts payments you may have a hard time passing PCI compliance scans otherwise.

One of the easiest ways to get a VPN setup is a quality router with a VPN endpoint built in. My personal favourite is pfSense. The SG-3100 is perfect for small SOHO networks that don't have crazy fast internet. With the VPN export utility, once the router is configured you can export the OpenVPN installer bundle that includes the client config. There are also OpenVPN clients for Android, IOS, and MacOS. As for tablet file access, I'm sure someone can recommend something.

Don't put your clients at risk. Readup on network security and always use VPN for remote access.

Status
Not open for further replies.