Hello everyone! Noob willing to get a freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivis

Cadet
Hi everyone, I've always wanted to buy a NAS and now I think it is the time. First I wanted to buy a Synology or a qnap, but I'm a plex user, so they won't work for me as I need a NAS powerful enough for transcoding.
I have been reading a lot about different OS and I think that freenas is the one that fits my needs, but before I buy anything I've got a few questions. I have read lots of posts in the forum, the newbie guide (cyberjock) and now I'm reading the manual of the latest release.

I know that this is not the place, but before posting in other place, I would like to make sure that at least I know the basics.

The setup I want is the following:

Processor: Intel xeon 1231v3
Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I (there is no supermicro mini itx...)
Hdd: 2x wd green 4tb (hacking the intelligy park)
2x Seagate barracuda 7200rpm 1gb (I've already got them)
Ram: Kingston 1x16gb KVR16LR11D4/16KF or 1x16gb KVR16LR11D4/16KF (what's the difference between those two? )
Psu: Still thinking about it
Case: Probably BitFenix prodigy

Now, what Raid can I use with that setup? I'm not sure which one I can having drives of different sizes.

Finally, I would like to know if I can do the following things with freenas:
-Convert video files to different formats
-Use it with lightroom, reading and writing everything from the nas.
- Play video games in my pc (Windows 8.1) that are stored in the nas

Thank you very much, and sorry for the newbie questions but I'm a Windows user and it's my first time in the nas world

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I know that this is not the place, but before posting in other place, I would like to make sure that at least I know the basics.
Welcome to the forums!
The basics are covered in the freenas manual, and the stickies in this forum. Read, read, read.

Mivis

Cadet
Thank you! I will keep doing it!

Enviado desde mi C6833 mediante Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Big problem right away: That RAM will never work with your processor and motherboard.

It's either Registered (LGA 1150 processors only take Unbuffered) or a 16GB Unbuffered DIMM (I don't think Kingston has them. In any case, any Intel processors other than the Avoton Atoms will not work with 16GB Unbuffered DIMMs).

Mivis

Cadet
Big problem right away: That RAM will never work with your processor and motherboard.

It's either Registered (LGA 1150 processors only take Unbuffered) or a 16GB Unbuffered DIMM (I don't think Kingston has them. In any case, any Intel processors other than the Avoton Atoms will not work with 16GB Unbuffered DIMMs).

Thank you, which one can you suggest? I would like to buy a 16gb DIMM so in the future I can buy another one to have a total of 32gb

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

diedrichg

Wizard
If you are looking for a easy plug n play option, look at the FreeNAS Mini by iXSystems. That is to say - if you don't want to build your own.

Mivis

Cadet
If you are looking for a easy plug n play option, look at the FreeNAS Mini by iXSystems. That is to say - if you don't want to build your own.

I also did, but they are too expensive for me and I prefer to do it myself.

Thank you!

Whattteva

Wizard
Think those also come with 1 year support, too.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you absolutely want support for 64GB of RAM, you'll either need an Avoton Atom board (like the one in the FreeNAS Mini, typically rather expensive) and 16GB UDIMMs (insanely expensive) or a Xeon E5 system (rather expensive) and 8GB DIMMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.