Hello all

Kevin645

Cadet
Hey Everyone,

After lurking on this website. I finally decided to build my own DIY NAS based off the recommendations. I did find a good deal on an ITX based system for my workload on ebay.

Motherboard: x11SDV-TLN2F
CPU Cooler: Zip Tied Noctua 80mm fan
RAM: 64gb DDR4 2133 ECC
PSU: Seasonic SGX-500
HDD: 4x 16TB Seagate Exos x18 Drives
Boot SSD: 500gb Samsung 840 EVO
Case: 3D Printed Custom Case.

I have got the system finally setup. I have the hard drives disconnected for the time being to check the power consumption. I was shocked to see that when the system is on standby(system shutdown and IPMI is only running) I am getting almost 15 watts even when the system is off. Is this expected? My alderlake virtualization server idles at 4Watts with just the BMC on. Is this 10G NIC always on taking the additional 10 or so watts? Is this my PSU's inefficiencies ? Am I too overly cautious on power consumption here?

Note: I am using a kill-a-watt meter to measure consumption directly from the PSU.

I checked to see if I could disable the 10G NIC just to see if it would reduce power consumption. It doesn't seem possible. Even on a shutdown state it's attempting to IP Lease is remaining active on my Router and i see the activity light in this stand by state.

Thanks for any comments.

chuck32

Guru
Welcome!

CPU Cooler: Zip Tied Noctua 80mm fan
I'm afraid I read that correctly.

Even on a shutdown state it's attempting to IP Lease is remaining active on my Router and i see the activity light in this stand by state.
Remove your transceiver.

15 W seems high for idle power consumption though. What is your power draw with everything turned on?

Kevin645

Cadet

chuck32

Guru
That's 5 pages ;) which post exactly?

Without further information zip ties sound wild.

This is using 10G Base T ports not the SFP ports people are accustomed too. So I can't remove the transceiver
There's still a cable you can unplug though?

Maybe with base T the power draw is a little higher anyway, could be the reason for your increased consumption, but I don't know as I use optical connections.
I can check next time I offline my server what the power draw is.

Kevin645

Cadet
Yep I did unplug the ethernet it dropped 1 watt but I do believe it is likely the 10gb base t nic. I couldn't find a menu to turn it off.