Headless TrueNAS setup?

MarkJohnson

Dabbler
I finally setup TrueNAS and have it setup as SMB server and all is well.

I then noticed that TrueNAS is using +75Watts at idle.

I notice I have a GTX 1060 GPU installed.

I remove the GTX 1060 and when I start the server bavk again, it give 1 long, 4-short beeps, which shoukd be no video. Then I hear anothe single short beep, like it booted into TrueNAS. but I can't log into the server. It acts like it doesn't exist?

Maybe it didn't boot into TrueNAS, maybe it booted to BIOS and wants more configuration for headless operation?

So, my question, is what setting do I make to go into headless mode, to bypass any video, so I hopefully use less power?

I have a Ryzen system. 3600X, Asus Prime X470-Pro.

Or maybe does the 3600x use a lot of power in idle state, Same with X480 board, does it use up abnormal power as well?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

LarsR

Guru
Not all amd boards can boot headless. If they can you have to enable that setting in your bios.
My combo of MSI x370 board and 3700x lets me boot headless.

MarkJohnson

Dabbler
I made a typo. I have a Ryzen 2600 with an Asus Prime X470-Pro.

I couldn't seem to find the info on enabling headless mode.

Is there a specific name for it? Or a specific folder it should be in, if available?

LarsR

Guru
I dont know the asus bios. With MSI it was called something like "VGA Detection". By default it was set to auto and i disabled it.
The Menu point in the MSI bios is called "integrated peripherals".

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I couldn't seem to find the info on enabling headless mode.

Instead of putting a space-heating GPU in, why not just go get a cheap PCIe VGA card? ... do they really not make generic VGA cards anymore? Geez.

MarkJohnson

Dabbler
I dont know the asus bios. With MSI it was called something like "VGA Detection". By default it was set to auto and i disabled it.
The Menu point in the MSI bios is called "integrated peripherals".

Yeah, I was looking for those normal terms, but Asus always has to reference more technical terms and I couldn't seem to find them. Maybe I'll scour through the BIOS more closely and hopefully find them.

Thanks for the help.

MarkJohnson

Dabbler
Instead of putting a space-heating GPU in, why not just go get a cheap PCIe VGA card? ... do they really not make generic VGA cards anymore? Geez.

Sorry, Mr. Moderator, but I think you misread my post. I'm trying to remove the GPU completely.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sorry, Mr. Moderator, but I think you misread my post. I'm trying to remove the GPU completely.

Yeah, the problem you're likely to run into is that there may not BE a setting that allows you to boot without a video output device. Having experienced that problem on consumer, desktop, and gaming boards in the past, where users cannot find a way to enable headless mode because it doesn't exist, I jumped right to the end and suggested adding a VGA PCIe non-GPU card. The GPU uses N watts while a VGA card uses about 1 watt. Your reasoning for wanting to remove the GPU seemed to be "power savings". Sorry if I bypassed explaining the intermediate logic and just went right to the solution I was suggesting. I didn't misread your post. I just jumped ahead. :smile:

MarkJohnson

Dabbler
That sucks, usually Asus has an overabundant of options available. Sadly, I don't have an old budget GPU anymore. I may have to scrounge around for one. Luckily it's summer time and garage sales are everywhere!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That sucks, usually Asus has an overabundant of options available. Sadly, I don't have an old budget GPU anymore. I may have to scrounge around for one. Luckily it's summer time and garage sales are everywhere!

And today I learned that essentially nobody makes non-GPU VGA cards anymore. There are still some PCI ones available, but none for PCIe. Seems to coincide with Windows Vista, and if you think about that, I suppose it makes sense.