HDD Temp on Dashboard - Where has it gone

Sean Hasson

Cadet
Im pretty certain* - At least 90% Sure that in the FreeNas 11.1 The dashboard showed the CPU and HDD Temp - It no longer shows the HDD Temp - Wondering if this was a feature removed/ not working in latest version or simply just not working for my setup in 11.2
e.g
1579647026349.png

stark

Cadet
Hey -- Temps have been working consistently for me in every 11.2 release thus far. See attached. Do you have any other drive / pools, and if so, are any of them working? There were some bug reports last year that looked like your problem:

Which specific release are you running?

seems to me it is a UI bug or a glitch in updating to 11.2, but just to rule it out, have you looked directly at the drive temp to see what it's reporting?

From the Shell:

smartctl -a /dev/ada2

look for: the value that looks something like this:

194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 111 102 000 Old_age Always - 39

Where the 39 would be the actual temp. I did once have a failing drive that threw crazy values into the smartctl output, and I can imagine the UI choking on that.

If that looks OK though, I would consider two immediate things to try:

1) update to the latest 11.2 (it looks like those bugs were fixed around 11.2-U3). OR
2) If this system was upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2, I mught consider doing a clean boot drive with the latest 11.2 and importing my pools / settings into that. Just a wonky temp report on one drive might not be worth the risk/trouble, but if THAT issue is floating around I might worry there may be others . . .

Hope this helps a little...
disk.jpg

seanm

Guru
Im pretty certain* - At least 90% Sure that in the FreeNas 11.1 The dashboard showed the CPU and HDD Temp - It no longer shows the HDD Temp - Wondering if this was a feature removed/ not working in latest version or simply just not working for my setup in 11.2

You have to click the little disk icon.

Sean Hasson

Cadet
You have to click the little disk icon.
Nope...
Hey -- Temps have been working consistently for me in every 11.2 release thus far. See attached. Do you have any other drive / pools, and if so, are any of them working? There were some bug reports last year that looked like your problem:

Which specific release are you running?

seems to me it is a UI bug or a glitch in updating to 11.2, but just to rule it out, have you looked directly at the drive temp to see what it's reporting?

From the Shell:

smartctl -a /dev/ada2

look for: the value that looks something like this:

194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 111 102 000 Old_age Always - 39

Where the 39 would be the actual temp. I did once have a failing drive that threw crazy values into the smartctl output, and I can imagine the UI choking on that.

If that looks OK though, I would consider two immediate things to try:

1) update to the latest 11.2 (it looks like those bugs were fixed around 11.2-U3). OR
2) If this system was upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2, I mught consider doing a clean boot drive with the latest 11.2 and importing my pools / settings into that. Just a wonky temp report on one drive might not be worth the risk/trouble, but if THAT issue is floating around I might worry there may be others . . .

Hope this helps a little... View attachment 35174
Thanks -
Found that it is reporting the temp as you suggested in shell

1579736015703.png

Im currently running 11.2 U7 - None of the other disks display it in the dashboard either - sounds like a UI Glitch or as you say may need to have a clean boot.... Useful to know anyway!!!

Thanks
Sean

seanm

Guru
Im currently running 11.2 U7 - None of the other disks display it in the dashboard either - sounds like a UI Glitch or as you say may need to have a clean boot.... Useful to know anyway!!!

Do you use multipath? Temperature doesn't work in the GUI if so.

stark

Cadet
Actually I've had a mixed experience with this. Some datapoints:

-- first UI session after a reboot, you need to click on the disk as @seanm mentioned. until you do,it says "drive data not available" or something like that. But NOT a real temperature or even the N/A that @SeanHasson saw above.
-- every other UI session after that, it shows the temp without clicking, even if you clear your browser cache, etc. In this case, for any specific drive you click on that has not previously been clicked, it shows the N/A for a split second, and then shows the temp.

It's pretty repeatable. Not sure what that means, except to confirm that if you click on a drive as @seanm suggested and see the drive reporting in smartctl as @SeanHasson confirmed above, it pretty much has to be a UI thing.

(also two Seans from two different continents in one thread, awesome!)