HBA Firmware update within FreeNAS CLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMagician

Explorer
Good evening,

I sincerely apologise in advance for the rather noob-level question, but...

Is it possible to update the firmware on my (already crossflashed) PERC-H200, from within FreeNAS without removing the card?

The HBA is currently running LSI firmware version 20.00.04 00 in IT mode.

I was all ready to create a bootable USB drive again, remove the card, and perform the whole procedure in a Frankenstein's monster of a spare workstation - but some last-minute forum scouring suggests that it might be acceptable to update firmware on a live FreeNAS system from within the CLI?

On one hand, it's not a massive mission to down the server and rip it apart.

On the other hand, if I can just have it updated in-situ in 1 minute and simply reboot the server afterwards, then yay!

Any advice appreciated, with kind thanks,

S.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not on a live system. That's a very bad idea. But you can do it from FreeNAS and sas2flash is included. In practice, it's best to stick the EFI flasher and the firmware file on a FAT32 flash drive, boot into the UEFI shell and do it there.

BlueMagician

Explorer
@danb35 , @Ericloewe - Thank you very much for you speedy replies.

I am intrigued to learn that it _is_ possible, but happy to know that it's not recommended. It somehow didn't feel right!

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of my random SCSI Sense Medium errors - and the last thing to do before resigning myself to the fact that the HBA is faulty in some way, is to update the firmware to the latest available...

Sincere thanks again,
Simon.

Status
Not open for further replies.