SOLVED Dell HBA Firmware G164P problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on a new install of freenas(9.10 stable u4) I get a big alert in the corner stating that my the Firmware version on my HBA cards is out of date saying that it should be version 21 and my card is on version 7. So in looking around it appears that Dell v7 is the latest version from their page.

By using "pciconf -lvc" to look at the Dell HBA it seems like it is rebranded of LSI logic sas2008 fusion-mpt sas-2 falcon.

So is it possible to use firmware from LSI firmware to flash the Dell HBA (edit - model g164p)?
Or is all of this not needed and I should just leave it on the latest Dell v7 firmware?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should update it to version 20.00.07 IT firmware. You should also look at updating your freenas. The firmware 21 is a bug.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You should update it to version 20.00.07 IT firmware. You should also look at updating your FreeNAS. The firmware 21 is a bug.

So yes that is the problem... :) I would love to update it to v20(since v21 is a bug) however since it is a DELL HBA card the latest version they have on their site is V 7. However since it looks like it is just a rebranded LSI card, can use the LSI firmware on the Dell Card? Hope that makes more sense.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Since you haven't said what card you have we can't give you an answer

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It was in the title. I should have put it in the post though, sorry. It's a Dell g164p.
Is that an external card? How do you have thing setup? You can try flashing it or just get a $100 lsi 9211-8i.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Not much info out there about the Dell G164P... is it also known as an H200E? It does look quite a bit like an H200 with external instead of internal SAS connectors. If it is an H200E, this thread might help:

https://forums.FreeNAS.org/index.php?threads/crossflash-dell-h200e-to-lsi-9200-8e.41307/

Awwww YA that is exactly it. The only P/N | Model number on my card is the G164P but after looking up several pics of the H200E it is the same card. No wonder I was finding zero information about flashing it. Thanks for the link looks exactly what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.