Having trouble with SMB share execute permissions

sfatula

Guru
This is all just a test share with a random name, nothing important is here, just trying to work out permissions.

Say I want some users on TrueNAS who has samba authentication enabled to be able to access a shared directory. I am using users emby and sfatula, both members of builtin_users.

So, on the TrueNAS machine, host permissions on the share level directory look like:

# file: TEST
# owner: sfatula
# group: builtin_users
user::rwx
group::rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:group::rw-
default:other::---

On the host machine as user emby, I do a touch of a file in the share directory. It shows up as:

# file: test2
# owner: emby
# group: emby
user::rw-
group::rw-

Now, I connect from an ubuntu client machine via:
mount -t cifs -o username=emby,password=somepassword,uid=1001,gid=1001 //192.168.3.13/TEST /NAS/TEST

As user Emby on client ubuntu, I go into /NAS/TEST and do a touch. I end up with:

# file: test4
# owner: emby
# group: emby
user::rwx
user:emby:rwx
group::---
group:emby:---
mask::rwx

The file has execute permissions, it should not. I have no smb options set as far as extra parameters. The old usual suggestions like map archive = no, etc seem to do nothing.

I am sure I've done something wrong here, not familiar with smb4, but still, any ideas why the files from the client are ignoring the default samba file mask? I didn't change it.