Having trouble transfering files from a ZFS drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick_90

Cadet
Hey Guys sorry if I muddle this up.

I've been trying to transfer some files from a ZFS drive (local) to a external hard drive. I can read, write and edit. However, everytime when I try and transfer my files, about a minute during the process I keep getting this error.

20131010_172016.jpg

Moreover here are my system specification,

Hostname freenas.local
Build FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
Memory 2032MB

Yeah I know I need 4GB for ZFS however even If I put try it with a board that has 12GB of ram, the same error keeps coming up!

Any help will be grateful

Regards,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, the RAM requirement is set higher to prevent corruption of the zpool(gee... that's exactly what looks like happened to you). Please post the output of zpool status and place it in CODE tags.

It's also possible that the system is crashing because the USB drive is disconnecting from the host machine mid-copy. It's one of several reason why USB drives aren't recommended. I realize you're just trying to do a backup, but that doesn't negate the possible problems with USB.

nick_90

Cadet
Yeah by the looks of it I believe there might be various files corrupted. Here is the code that I get from the zpool status

Code:
pool: Local
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scan: scrub repaired 780K in 5h10m with 6196 errors on Sun Oct 6 05:10:09 2013
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
Local ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/4bb94686-20fc-11e3-98e2-f8d111100927 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: 6324 data errors, use '-v' for a list

Moreover, I'm using an old 80GB WD Caviar IDE Hard drive as my boot drive and not a usb drive.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep. Your pool is trashed. :(

If you do zpool status -v it will list every file it knows about that has errors. If you haven't read the file recently it might be corrupt but it doesn't know yet. You could try doing a scrub, but my guess is the disk is failing so a scrub would be bad.

You will have to start copying off the files you can get to and start deleted the ones that are corrupt or make the server panic. It will be tedious work to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.