Hardware recommendation for New NAS BUILD - 15 TB of storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegueldre

Cadet
Hello Guys,

I wanna build a new NAS RIG during the next week, actually my old one don't have enough performance for my usage.

Here is the hardware configuration that i wanna buy in a couple of week to build my new NAS :

Lian LI Q25B + Seasonic G360
C60M1-I Motherboard
8 GB of DDR3 PC 10600
Another Intel Network card (1000Mbps)
3x3To Western digital red
3x2To western digital green (already have them)

This NAS will be directly connect to a VMWare ESX server through on of the two interface, i will use iscsi protocol to connect it as a datastore. (The datastore will be store on ZFS Raid pool on the Western digital red storage), The ESX server has 8 to 10 VMs active at the same time.

The second network card will be used for CIFS/NFS access to another volumes

The second pool of disks (green one) will be used for the backup part, each day.

no dedup, no encryption.

My question is simple, Does it will do the job? (i mean the hardware part), 8 GB of memory are enough? I need to be sure that i can get almost 80Mo/s with this build. If not, can u give me some advise to improve this build?

Thx u very much for ur support.

(I m french, sorry for my bad english :D)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Re: Hardware recommandation for New NAS BUILD - 15 TB of storage

Performance depends on alot of factors.

You didn't mention what CPU you are using, but googling C60M1-I tells me it has 1Ghz dual core. I'd doubt that the CPU can handle 80MB/sec, but I'm not familiar with AMDs. If you aren't CPU bottlenecked, then see the next paragraph. Someone else claimed they could reach a top speed of 58MB/sec with Samba and 63MB/sec with FTP. As the zpool gets more and more full expect performance to only decrease.

If you don't have enough RAM for your needs(which you'll find out once its built I'm sure) the only easy solution is more RAM.

If you don't own all of this hardware and you are determined to get 80MB/sec you should look at more powerful hardware. Your CPU is far from powerful enough to handle the speeds you are wanting, and you may find you need more RAM...

Stephens

Patron
Re: Hardware recommandation for New NAS BUILD - 15 TB of storage

The C60M1-I is slower than my E35M1-I. It's closer to the Intel atoms. I wouldn't bet on 80MB/s, though the Intel NIC helps. There are others around here who have used the C60M1-I so there are some threads available for reading.

gpsguy

Please read jgreco's messages in this thread: ZFS & iSCSI

Consider going with a Micro-ATX board, rather than a mini-ITX. Most of the latter have limited pci, pci/e slots and most only have 2 slots available for RAM. If you need more RAM, you might not be able to add it, or it might be very expensive.

BTW, you don't have to apologize for your English.

fdegueldre

Cadet
Ok, i will check some threads about C60M1 and read it.

Many thx for answers, i will consider going with a Micro ATX too.

Many Thx

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.