Hardware Offloading disabled, yet TX only 88Mbps

Peek

Cadet
Hi,

I have 3x VM's on the same XCP-NG 8.1 host.

- TrueNAS 12.0-U2
- pfSense 2.4.5-p1
- Debian 4.19.171-2 (Buster)

5 VLANs are implemented on the same physical interface, with the above VMs all within the same VLAN. (XCP-NG network) As such, I believe all traffic between the above VMs should remain within the host. (on the XCP-NG virtual switch)

The guest tools for TrueNAS is installed as per the XCP-ng documentation on FreeNAS/TrueNAS.

Yet

TX from Debian VM to TrueNAS = 2.12Gbps
TX from TrueNAS to Debian VM = 88Mbps

Okay, so this is clearly the "Disable TX Checksum Offload" issue regarding FREEBSD and virtualisation... Yes ?

As such, I implement the ethtool-tx="off" on the virtual interface for TrueNAS.

xe vif-param-set uuid=789358b4-54c8-87d3-bfb3-0b7721e4661b other-config:ethtool-tx="off"

DO NOTE the WARNING under the XCP-NG guide regarding "Disable TX Checksum Offload" :

WARNING

Many guides on the internet for pfSense in Xen VMs will tell you to uncheck checksum options in the pfSense web UI, or to also disable RX offload on the Xen side. These are not only unnecessary, but some of them will make performance worse.

Yet I see no improvement. A such I then also disable the "Hardware Offloading" within TrueNAS

- Network > Interfaces > Disable Hardware Offloading

... and still, no improvement.

I then add an internal network in XCP-NG with no VLAN association, only connecting the Debian VM and TrueNAS via a private (on-host) dedicated link.

... and still, no improvement even after also setting other-config:ethtool-tx on the TrueNAS private virtual interface.

I'm a bit lost on this and would appreciate any insight on where I'm missing loosing my packets (mind) ?