SOLVED XenServer Guest Tools on XCP-ng

kagbasi-wgsdac

Dabbler
Good-day folks,

I trust you're all doing well. So, I'm NOOB to TrueNAS who has heard a lot of great things about it and how well it implements ZFS. So I've fired up a VM running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.1 on my XCP-ng hypervisor just to test it out and see if I want to move into production with it with actual hardware in an Active Directory environment. So far, everything seems to be working well.

However, my OCD nature just can't live with not seeing certain bits of data about the VM in my Xen Orchestra dashboard, so I decided to install the XenServer Guest Tools and that doesn't seem to be working. In fact, I don't think I'm running into any errors, but rather a permission denial (see below):

Code:
root@nas01[~]# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
mount: /mnt: WARNING: source write-protected, mounted read-only.
root@nas01[~]# bash /mnt/Linux/install.sh
Detected `Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)' (debian version 11).

The following changes will be made to this Virtual Machine:
  * packages to be installed/upgraded:
    - xe-guest-utilities_7.30.0-11_amd64.deb

Continue? [y/n] y

/mnt/Linux/install.sh: line 521: /usr/bin/dpkg: Permission denied

Anyone been successful getting this to work.

acp

Explorer
Starting in 22.13.3 dpkg execute flags are missing. They can be added by doing a

Code:
chmod +x /usr/bin/dpkg

Standard warning applies. Upgrades will most certainly break your sideloading. This method is not supported.

Good luck.

kagbasi-wgsdac

Dabbler
Starting in 22.13.3 dpkg execute flags are missing. They can be added by doing a

Code:
chmod +x /usr/bin/dpkg

Standard warning applies. Upgrades will most certainly break your sideloading. This method is not supported.

Good luck.
Thanks @acp. Yes, I'm fully aware that this is not supported and will likely be broken by a future update. This is a test system and my intentions is to move to actual hardware (either built myself or an appliance from iX).