Hard drive configuration with sata controller card

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorl

Cadet
I have 6x3TB, four on the motherboard and two on a SATA PCI-e card. What would be an optimal way to configure the hard drives? Put all six hard drives in a RAID-Z2, or I was considering the 4 on the motherboard as RAID-Z2 and the two on the SATA card as mirrored.
I am just worried if all six hard drives were in a RAID-Z2, and the SATA card fails, then two hard drives goes down. Any thoughts?

gpsguy

You didn't provide your use case. For general storage RAIDz2 would be great.

OTOH, if you plan to serve up iSCSI, then a stripe of mirrors would be better.

victorl

Cadet
Right now I have my system set up as RAIDz1 and it has been running smoothly for little over a year. It currently has 4x3TB via motherboard, but I recently got two more 3TB so I am gonna get a SATA card to add the extra drives.
I am only using the system as a media server right (using only DLNA) now so nothing too important is on there. But I might just keep the drives on my motherboard and sata card as two separate vdevs.

gpsguy

I'd go with all the drives in RAIDz2. For extra SATA ports consider the 8 port IBM 1015 HBA which would give you the needed ports now and allow for expansion down the road. Cost on eBay is about $120 USD + you'd need some breakout cables.

Sent from my phone

victorl

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably get the 8-port IBM M1015 HBA at a later time for a future build. My system now was a first/cheap build and the two extra drives will be the only upgrade that I will make. So an inexpensive 2-port SATA card will work for now. Also, this system has a 450W PSU, and I want to avoid installing beyond six drives on this set up. I have seen 8 drives on a 450W but I personally do not want to go down that road.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Even a 360W PSU can handle 8 drives without problems so no need to worry about that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.