Can install be done with just boot drive for future raid?

Dirk

Patron
Have my replacement machine almost done. Two of the six hard drives and a ssd boot are in place.

Can I install Freenas and apps (sonarr radarr plex) to the boot drive to get ahead of things while waiting on the other four disks for the raid?

Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Have my replacement machine almost done. Two of the six hard drives and a ssd boot are in place.

Can I install Freenas and apps (sonarr radarr plex) to the boot drive to get ahead of things while waiting on the other four disks for the raid?

Thanks
No

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you want to get creative (and a bit risky with the data you accumulate in the meantime while waiting), you could build a pool on a single disk and then use the resource for creating a degraded pool when the new disks arrive, then copy to the degraded pool, wipe the single drive and use it in the pool.

Dirk

Patron
Thanks everyone. I have NO intent on putting any personal data on it until all six drives are in place.

sretella: That's kind ow what I was looking for, just create the pool structure to test the apps communication and permissions and not go any further. My experience is that it will take a week or so of PT work to get things installed and working.

Is this a function of Freenas to degrade the pool?

Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks everyone. I have NO intent on putting any personal data on it until all six drives are in place.

sretella: That's kind ow what I was looking for, just create the pool structure to test the apps communication and permissions and not go any further. My experience is that it will take a week or so of PT work to get things installed and working.

Is this a function of Freenas to degrade the pool?

Thanks
No it's not a supported function the way you are using it. It's meant to be notification that your pool is unhealthy and need a dive replacement.

Another option is just practice setting things up. The best way to really understand something is to do it. Delete it and do it again.

Yorick

Wizard
Oh that's brilliant. I was thinking of a way I can expand my raidz2. So, I could, as perverse as it is:

- Buy a 12TB disk
- Transfer all the data I care about over
- Verify it's there
- Do that again
- Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean THEY are not out to get you - verify again
- Blow away the raidz2
- Recreate degraded, with full on export and re-import
- Transfer data from 12TB disk to pool, verify it's all there
- See above, paranoia is a virtue
- Bring the 12TB disk in and resilver

This is crazy, and, doable. I don't know. I need to think about it. It appeals to me for the sheer kinky perversion of the act.

sretalla