Hard Drive Configuration (RAID etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlywarly

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

I have purchased a HP N40L micro server that has 4 hard drive bays with an embedded RAID 0,1 controller which i would like to install free nas onto.

Now i have had a play around and a good read on how to use free nas but i am still unsure on how i should proceed with setting up hard drives.

I would like to at first add 2x 1.5TB hard drives that will use the hardware RAID controller built into the micro server as RAID 1 and then in the future add another 2x hard drives and create another RAID 1 so i have a mirrored backup in case a hard drive fails and thus not losing any data.

Would this be the best way to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Edit: It appears that software RAID is more favorable than that of hardware RAID, can anyone confirm this and what the pros over using hardware RAID is?

Thanks

tingo

Contributor
- skip the "hardware" raid controller (in other words; use it as a standard sata controller)
- let zfs handle the mirror for you
- the best way (for not risking data loss) would be raidz1, but that requires three drives minium.

karlywarly

Dabbler
- skip the "hardware" raid controller (in other words; use it as a standard sata controller)
- let zfs handle the mirror for you
- the best way (for not risking data loss) would be raidz1, but that requires three drives minium.

Thanks for the help.

Created a ZFS mirror using 2x 1.5TB hard drives which seemed really easy.

Now starting to enjoy freenas now ;)

tingo

Contributor
It depends on how much you value your data. Shit happens, we all know that.

karlywarly

Dabbler
It depends on how much you value your data. Shit happens, we all know that.

With setting up a ZFS mirror using 2 hard drives on my nas, i would have thought that one of the hard drives would be classed as a backup as in the same as a RAID 1 mirror although software based?

If i made a backup of this then surely that would make it a backup of a backup unless i'm wrong? :confused:

fracai

Guru
So we are saying that the ZFS RAID 1 mirror i set up is not good enough then? :eek:
A mirror protects your data if one drive fails or develops a few bad blocks. A mirror does nothing if both drives fail, or if the box dies in a catastrophic way that takes the drives with it, of if the house burns down.

It all depends on how valuable the data is. Valuable enough for a mirror, but can be replaced over time if the mirror dies? Valuable enough to keep secondary on-site backups? Valuable enough for off-site backups in a strong privacy rights, non-extradition country?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
With setting up a ZFS mirror using 2 hard drives on my nas, i would have thought that one of the hard drives would be classed as a backup as in the same as a RAID 1 mirror although software based?

If i made a backup of this then surely that would make it a backup of a backup unless i'm wrong? :confused:

RAID =/= Backup

tingo

Contributor
In addition, a mirror (or any other data storage solution) doesn't protect you from logical faults (accidental deletes for example).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
In addition, a mirror (or any other data storage solution) doesn't protect you from logical faults (accidental deletes for example).

While not an end-all for protection from deletes, using the recycle bin feature of CIFS is REALLY handy for those kinds of mistakes. I use the recycle bin with a cronjob that autodeletes old files after 10 days from the recycle bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.