Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience
Resource icon

Hard Drive Burn-In Testing - Discussion Thread

Western Digital Drives - The Preferred Drives of FreeNAS and TrueNAS CORE

Apollo

Wizard
Well, it was my first disk replacement and I forgot how I tested all 5 drives before creating the pool a few years ago.

So I put the "da4" drive OFFLINE (out of 5 drives)
Put the new drive in the same bay (I forgot I had to test it)
Ran short rest
Ran long test
Is running badblocl test

Now I realize I have a degraded zpool for as long as the 5th drive is not ready.

What should I do?
Should I just stop the tests, run the "replace" command, resilver and hope fort the best ?
What was the reason for offlining the drive?
If you haven't performed the replacement yet, maybe you could reinsert the old drive and resilver the pool. It may take less time as entire resilvering may not be necessary.
In that case, I would proceed with Badblock and wait for it to complete. Then if all is good, you can replace the old drive with the new drive.

phier

Patron
May I ask regardin that drive burn-in, the solnet scrip contains only "read" operations.... as
dd if=/dev/ada0 of=/dev/null bs=1048576

so as part of the burn-in write to the drive is not required?

thanks

Etorix

Guru
That's what make the test non-destructive, and allows to run on a live array.

phier

Patron
@Etorix thanks, but still not clear is that enough for a burn-in just read operation? Also i was wondering once the test is over ie all dd if=drive of=null complete... how can i find out if there was some issue/or drive is okay or wrong?

Thanks

Etorix

Guru
"Burn-in" is whatever makes you feel confident before putting the hardware in production…
There are "recipes" but no real "gold standard". Badblocks—a legacy from the time when hard drives could not map their own defects—has been much abused for that. Solnet-array is a different take on the issue, and if it's good for @jgreco I'd say it's good enough for everyone.

phier

Patron
@Etorix i believe it, but i was wondering how to validate that action, u execute solnet-array; once its done how u evaluate burn-in operation?
running smartctl -t long and looking for a results?

thanks