Had a disk fault, bought a new one and realized afterward it was just a bad SATA cable

Bageland2000

Dabbler
Like the title says. I have a 5x3TB RAIDZ1 array. Fault got thrown, did a resilver with a new 4TB drive, and then realized it was a SATA cable issue. Have some questions for next steps.

Am I able to put the old drive back in? I'm assuming it would need to resilver again, correct?

Also: I'm thinking about just upgrading the pool to 5x4TB disk by disk, but I'm nervous about a failure while doing the other four. If I do a disk replace, and a separate disk fails in the process, can I put the original disk back in that I was in the process of replacing to get the pool back again? Or will a failure while resilvering on RAIDZ1 guarantee data loss?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Do you have a sixth SATA port available? Replacing a disk is easier and safer when you are not detaching your redundancy.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I ... don't know? I don't use jails on FreeNAS, so I really have very little insight there.

My idea is simply that it's lovely to rebuild with both the old and new disk in place, it allows for things to go "safely" wrong in ways that disconnecting your only redundancy does not.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Going from 3 TB per drive to 4 TB will not give you that much extra capacity. Any particular reason for not going bigger?

Bageland2000

Dabbler
Going from 3 TB per drive to 4 TB will not give you that much extra capacity. Any particular reason for not going bigger?
Because when I purchased a replacement drive yesterday, the closest to the original capacity was 4TB. You're probably right though. If I'm going to go bigger, I should probably go for a ~10TB array. Maybe I'll hand onto what I have now, and build a brand new NAS soon. My current hardware is getting pretty outdated. Maybe I'll build from scratch.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Well, outdated is a relative term. If you look at mine, it is outdated too, but more than capable of doing its job. What do you have now and what is it being used for?