H310 Flashing Guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mheetu

Dabbler
I just got my first system put together and need to flash my PERC H310... Does anyone have a link to an up-to-date guide on how to do this? The one link I found didn't work and my searches keep resulting in threads where people are asking for help rather than guides on how/where to begin.

Thanks! :)

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

melloa

Wizard

I saw this guide showing newer UEFI motherboards. Last time I did was with a Perc 5/i and only could do it on an old system. Glad this seems to work on new ones. Have you tried? I have an Asus and a Gigabyte laying around and, depending if cheaper than the LSI 9211 that doesn't require flash, as mentioned on @Ericloewe guide, I will give it a try.

Mheetu

Dabbler
I can't even boot to the USB FreeDOS with my H310 card in, I get an error stating "Attached Enclosure doesn't support in controller's Direct mapping mode". I tried putting tape over the 2 pins as described in the guide but I get the same exact thing...

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
There's a fellow here -- @Mirfster -- who is a Dell guru... Perhaps he can shed light on your problem. I only have experience with the Dell H200 cards.

Mheetu

Dabbler
I've made some progress, though I'm not entirely sure what I did to get past where I was... I'm able to get into DOS but when I execute the first megacli.exe command, I get the following fatal error: "DOS/32A fatal (4003): not enough extended memory to load application exec "MEGACLI"."

Doing some research, I found: http://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=11502

Though I'm not sure what that means... XP DOS? Does this mean FreeDOS won't work? Where do I get XP or greater DOS?

Thanks

melloa

Wizard
It has been 1/2 century ago, but if I remember DOS didn't recognized all the memory and himem was used to load some programs in high memory to free up low memory for other programs. That should fix the low memory error above.

Try add to your config.sys - guessing FreeDOS will have it :)

DEVICE=<drive>:<path_to_the_file>/HIMEM.SYS

If the file is in the root directory, just:

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS should do it.

Mheetu

Dabbler
I don't see a HIMEM.SYS or CONFIG.SYS in the drive I created with Rufus...

melloa

Wizard
Google freedos himem.sys and you will find more info. It seems to have been replaced.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You may also need DOS4GW.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
FWIW, my bootable USB flash drive, created with Rufus 2.8.886, runs FreeDOS. It has a file in the root directory named FDCONFIG.SYS containing these commands:

Code:
BUFFERS=20
FILES=40
DEVICE=XMGR.SYS

The XMGR.SYS file exists in the root directory as well.

I use this flash drive to update the BIOS on all of my systems (Supermicro C7P67, X10SL7,X8SIE + Dell Vostro + Acer laptop). I also use it to flash the ROM on my IBM M1015 and Dell H200 adapters.

I am able to run all of LSI's executables, including the ones that required the DOS32A and DOS4GW DOS extenders.

I posted a zip file with the fileset I used to flash my IBM M1015 card in this thread here on the forum:

Where is the megarec Utility to Crossflash M1015 to IT Mode?

When I tried flashing my h310, I was unable to use the sas2flsh utility. I kept getting an Causeway error 09. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.