h310 flashed, question about status lights and fan speed Dell r520

Girth

Cadet
Hi all
After some trail and error I've successfully flashed a h310 into 9211-8i IT mode following https://www.ixsystems.com/community...shing-lsi-9211-9300-9311-hba-and-variants.54/

Now since flashing the card, there are no status LED on the caddies, is this something to be expected? I thought I read somewhere it was to do with a driver not being used by the raid card to speak to the backplane/iDrac, but I cannot find this web page again. Would adding the LSI bios help with this at all?

Also, the fan speeds ramp up as soon as a drive is added to the server to annoying levels. I'm guessing that is due to the raid card not talking to the server correctly and not reporting hdd temperatures? If this is the case, I’ll create some kind of script to control the fans in a semi intelligent manner via ipmi.

I'd just like to confirm these points before moving forward and putting this server live under my stairs and writing scripts

Thanks, Garth.

drros

Dabbler
Mine 2 Dell systems (in signature) also have no hdd status LED's, LED's are blinking only when drive write occur. I think that is expected behavior.

Girth

Cadet
Hi Drros, thats good to hear. Did you notice any difference in fan speed or is yours in a server room?

drros

Dabbler
No, not a server room, just free room in office (hope to move to a closet at home soon). Fan speed is controlled via IPMI script, so i didn't notice any changes. Just in case, IPMI script over network socket did worked for me for some time, but after some FreeNAS update it started to give weird errors, so i changed it to non-network path. If you interested i can share a script.