Guidance Needed for File Access

BMWalker

Cadet
BACKGROUND: I installed FreeNAS years ago to set up a backup/network for old files, music, photos, etc. I never upgraded to TrueNAS because everything worked. Over the last few years, I've upgraded and been storing more locally but recently had the need to get some of the old files for a project. I'd mapped both shares and can see the files but "don't have permission to access". I've looked through the forums and I've seen root users need to set up a new admin account, but that hasn't worked for me, so...

GUIDANCE: Should I upgrade to TrueNAS Core and reset my shares, group, users, etc? Instead of trying to work around and through FreeNAS, would it be better to migrate and essentially start from scratch?

I appreciate the advice.

I never upgraded to TrueNAS because everything worked.
Over the last few years, I've upgraded and been storing more locally but recently had the need to get some of the old files for a project.
Am I reading this correctly in that you eventually did upgrade to Core? (Unless you're referring to an "upgrade" of something else?)

I've looked through the forums and I've seen root users need to set up a new admin account, but that hasn't worked for me, so...
Those posts are likely referring to SCALE (and the non-root "admin" account that can access the web GUI.)

I'd mapped both shares and can see the files but "don't have permission to access".
You'll have to share how you configured your permissions/ACLs and your SMB shares. Otherwise, we'll just take shots in the dark.

BMWalker

Cadet
Gotcha. I'll pull those records.

In terms of upgrading...I upgraded my local PC which added a ton of space so I stopped using the NAS and just used my personal drives.

BMWalker

Cadet
So after going through everything, it appears the problem was in my WINDOWS permissions. *sigh*

I appreciate the quick response though!