GUI Status "Light"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyUk

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say the 1st thing I do when i login to the GUI is look at the (hopefully) green Status in the top right. More often than not I'll login to one of the NAS's just to check-up on it's status.

I just wondered if there was a command, script or API that could return the colour of the light? I quite simply want to look at the possibilities of an RGB LED mounted on the NAS boxes so that at a glance I can see it's status. Once I find a way of getting this data I think I could do the reset, possibly controlled by an ardunio nano board or the like, through the serial interface or via network.

any feedback will be appreciated.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I love the way you think, let me just say that right now.

It's driven by ${URL}/admin/alert/status/ which is usually followed by some cachebusting and returns "OK" if all is OK (or WARN or CRIT). It looks to me like that's driven by the code in freeadmin/site.py which is too Python-y for me to want to spend any time on.

You'll have to figure out authentication, or maybe the FreeNAS API has a hook to get the information, which I haven't bothered to check.

JimmyUk

Dabbler
Thanks jgreco that was really useful, I didn't know FN has any sort of http links like that.
Authentication may be a problem there as you mentioned. I'm not familiar with python nor with 'hooks' so will have to do some research. it's a good start tho jgreco

JimmyUk

Dabbler
Kind of a bump post this, I'm still trying to work this one out. Has anyone got enough python knowledge to work out how to get the status without authentication from the shell?

I have tried the following as status.py
Code:
import requests

print requests.get(
    'http://localhost/api/v1.0/system/alert/',
    auth=('root', '<ROOT PASSWORD>'),
)

but all I get is:

[root@freenas] ~# python status.py
<Response [200]>

Last edited:

JimmyUk

Dabbler
Slight update.

got a more descriptive response with the below

Code:
import requests
import json

test = requests.get(
    'http://localhost/api/v1.0/system/alert/',
    auth=('root', '**********'),
headers = {'content-type': 'application/json'}
)
print test.content

now time to play with python and get an output to the serial port :S

Glorious1

Guru
That's a cool idea. I'll be following this to see if you figure out a way to do it and write a how-to so that even a dummy could do it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
For those who want to sit the thing in a corner, yeah, that's kinda interesting.

Apollo

Wizard
Can it be used as a flashlight to find lost files :)?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, you need the industrial strength laser cutter for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.