Update notification in 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I've been running 9.3-RELEASE for a few weeks now, and it's a definite improvement. I like how the updater works (particularly since I seem to have missed the update that borks updates). It seems odd, though, that there isn't any notification of available updates unless I (1) click on the (green) status light, or (2) specifically take a look at the update section of the Web GUI. It seems that an available update should trigger an email notification (and having the changelog in the email would be even better) and/or turn the status light yellow. Thoughts?

Glorious1

Guru
I agree, but please don't turn the status light yellow. That would be bad for people who don't want to update regularly.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I agree, but please don't turn the status light yellow. That would be bad for people who don't want to update regularly.
Although I think the email would be the better option, I really don't see this as a problem. Those users will see the yellow light, click on it, see that it's yellow for an update, click the checkbox next to that notification, and close the alert window. That will turn the light green again until there's another alert.

norskman

Contributor
The updating system is great!
Yes, I downloaded the weird version. But was able to revert to pa previous version. Reboot and then jump the broken version.

Long term this is better - ok you should not of released the broken version, but it happens.

Email is ok for notifications as the email system is already done and working.
There would need to be a notification toggle but otherwise good.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It looks like an email notification feature is in the latest nightly. I've got it installed in a VM to see how it works. There doesn't appear to be any configuration specifically for email notification of updates--I presume it depends on (1) having an email address set for the root user, (2) email being properly configured, and (3) auto-check for updates being selected.

norskman

Contributor
wow - thats fast!
I think if a root user has set an email address - for notifications then its fair game to let them know there is an update pending.
We assume we are notified of 'real updates' not nightlies.....

Good work - whoever wrote that patch...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd guess the update notification depends which "train" you're on--if on the 9.3 nightly train, you'd get a notification each day; if on stable, then only when a new stable update is available. My VM is on the nightly train, so if it works as expected, I'd get an email tomorrow.

danb35

Hall of Famer
wow - thats fast!
Well, maybe not. The nightly that was supposed to have it fixed never notified me of any updates. I've updated to a newer nightly (FreeNAS-9.3-Nightlies-201501250400) in hopes that it's working there.

Herman Eggink

Explorer
Being on 9.3 RELEASE, I do get the email indicating there is an update. That said, it keeps emailing me daily until I do the upgrade which is a bit over the top IMO... Once and then maybe weekly?
I do like it tho! Nice addition.

fracai

Guru
Agreed. Though I'd like to just see them whenever the update becomes available. I don't need a reminder if I decide not to upgrade.

wreedps

Patron
How do you stop it from emailing everyday?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

wreedps

Patron
Oh thats rude

Status
Not open for further replies.