GUI show completed pool replication but the pool is empty

runevn

Explorer
I have purchased some new drives for my Dell r720xd and want to migrate my existing pool (storagepool) to the new pool (storagepool_temp) on my new drives. I have tried to follow this guide and everything is fine until step 4. Even though the GUI shows that the recplication is complete at the new pool is filled with my data, however when I use the CLI to browse the new pool it is just empty - no files and no sub-directories.

Annotation 2020-06-13 093214.png

My snapshot task looks like this:
Annotation 2020-06-13 093443.png

And my replication task like this:
Annotation 2020-06-13 093443_2.png

The GUI show that both the snapshot and the replication tasks are finished.

But in the console I saw this error:
Jun 13 00:00:13 nas collectd[72235]: statfs(/mnt/storagepool_temp/vmdata) failed: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

BTW: I'm running FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2.

Apollo

Wizard
TLDR, Replication is setting remote volume/pool as read only and won't be able to mount dataset/folder structure unless the remote pool is set to readonly=off.
Look for post related to the matter.

adrianwi

Guru
This might be the case, but you may also have stumbled across a bug as per this thread

runevn

Explorer
TLDR, Replication is setting remote volume/pool as read only and won't be able to mount dataset/folder structure unless the remote pool is set to readonly=off.
Look for post related to the matter.
Thanks for the suggestion. That did the work!

However, I have replicated my pool now but now the "read only" attribute on the pool and the inherited datasets are set to true. Can I just Edit Options on that pool and change it to false? Or why is it set to read only?

Thanks in advance.

Apollo

Wizard
Read only attribute has no effect on replication, however, having the remote pool/volume/dataset set to read only will prevent you or the system to alter the content of the datasets. This way, you will not have replication issues related to the remote filesystem being different from the source.

runevn

Explorer
Read only attribute has no effect on replication, however, having the remote pool/volume/dataset set to read only will prevent you or the system to alter the content of the datasets. This way, you will not have replication issues related to the remote filesystem being different from the source.
Thanks for the answer. Just to be sure I understand, so the read only attribute is automatically set to the destination pool after replication tasks. And furthermore, I have disconnected the old pool. Can I just change the read-only attribute to false?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I really want to be sure that I don't mess up my data :smile:

Thanks again.

Apollo

Wizard
When I get the readonly status I usually see it as ON or OFF, which could be interpreted as True or False I think.

I use my own script to perform replication, but I have seen the GUI manage replication to set the readonly status to ON when replication takes place on the remote side.
When I use my script to replicate on a newly created backup pool, the first thing I do is set the backup volume to readonly=ON.
I don't really need to mess with the readonly status after that unless I need to access the content of the datasets, such as listing the files.
As a result, upon attaching or starting the backup system with the backup pool, I will always get the "cannot mount dataset" related errors, but as long as I see the snapshots I am don't really worry about knowing whether my data has been replicated to the backup or not, because I know it has, because the snapshots are present.

If I need to list the content of the dataset, then I change the readonly status to OFF, restart the system or detach and attach the pool again. At that time, Freenas will be able to mount the various dataset and make the files accessible. I can then set the readonly to ON.

If the dataset is already mounted and the pool is set to readonly=ON, subsequent replication of the same dataset will still allow newly added files to be shown on the backup pool.
Readonly=ON is only detrimental when dataset need to be mounted for the first time as it would seem Freenas needs to write some metadata about the folder structure, I think.

I