GUI buttons don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy66

Cadet
OK, I'm brand new to FreeNAS. I just installed 9.1.0 and launched the GUI. I can't even change the admin password. I type a new password in, confirm it and when I click on the "Change Admin Password" button, nothing happens. No hour glass, no error, nothing. Same issue trying to setup volumes. i can enter all the data, but then the "Add Volume" button does nothing. After struggleing for about two hours I'm thinking of writing off FreeNas as junk. Any ideas? Thanks.

J

jkh

I think you might imagine that if most, or even some, people's GUI buttons did not work, FreeNAS would not even make it through the basic acceptance tests before being released. Offering to write it off "as junk" therefore seems both gratuitous and needlessly emotional when asking any question on a volunteer-driven forum.

Perhaps you are clicking the wrong button on your mouse? Some of the more powerful and advanced "power user" mouse models have more than one button, which is why Macs have historically shipped with one button mice. I can click on the Change Admin Password dialog and on the Add Volume as well with no problems - both just work. I am also clicking on my left mouse button, however. It is the one directly under the index finger. Those without index fingers, due to accident or birth defect, may wish to use the next finger over. Good luck!

gpsguy

Which browser are you using? If IE 10, you might want to try Firefox or Chrome.

By the way, FreeNAS 9.1.1-RELEASE is available.

jlpellet

Patron
I did not see any indication of the browser you are using but I suggest you might try another one. Also, you might ensure Javascript is allowed for the IP. Otherwise, seems like you may have a bad install. Might try dling the just-issued 9.1.1. Hope this helps.

Andreas

Cadet
I have the same problem. Only some gui buttons don't work. E.g the "change admin password" Button or in the ZFS dialog the "add volume" and the "cancel" Button. I am using version 9.1.1.

Yatti420

Wizard
Did you do a clean install of freenas on a known good USB of adequate size? Is your peripherals ok? Is your network working ok without freenas box hooked up? Is it bad with it hooked up.. Did you read the manual? Since the OP changed the root / admin password I wonder if he/she needed to re-login to the GUI?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Did you try clearing the cache of your browser?

resnicks

Cadet
I had the same problem with 9.1.1 when using Internet Explorer 10. I switched to Chrome and it works fine.

TomWaller

Dabbler
I'm just gonna throw this out there, because I had loads of issues with the GUI buttons not working. I think it was down to my laptop mouse driver. I have a touchscreen laptop (Lenovo Yoga 13) and rarely use the touch. I was using the built in trackpad trying to click buttons and nothing would happen. Even to this day, if I click an item in a list, such as a user, it never selects and I never see the context buttons appear at the bottom. However - if I touch them on the screen, they get selected and the buttons appear. Weird...

richsmif

Cadet
Im getting same problem with v9 on IE10. Win 7. Non of the GUI buttons work, tried laptop and desktop. Also tried adding site to trusted websites incase it was blocking something. Seems web interface needs updating to work with IE10.

brb

Cadet
I'm using Windows 8 with Chrome 30.0 and Freenas 9.1.0 and using the trackpad or a mouse, clicking the rows do not make the buttons appear at the bottom. I have to actually tap the row on the touchscreen to make them appear. The row just does not get selected. Double-clicking certain rows does make edit dialogs open, so it seemed like everything was OK, but I was going crazy trying to figure out what buttons the docs were talking about.

Jamie Gruener

Dabbler
Windows 8, Chrome 32.0.1700.76 m, FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4), brand-new install (okay, 4 days old).

The documentation references eight icons (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Viewing_Volumes) but I don't see any there.

If I use Firefox 26.0 or IE 11.0.9600.16476 (updated to 11.0.2) there they are!

I'm committed to using FreeNAS, but this kind of weirdness is, well, weird!

warri

Guru
I'm having no problems with Chromium 32.0.1700.77 (244343). Did you try clearing the browser cache or using incognito mode? Any addons which could interfere?

Jamie Gruener

Dabbler
I hadn't but I did just now. No change, icons still don't display. Firefox works great, though.

emk2203

Guru
I'm just gonna throw this out there, because I had loads of issues with the GUI buttons not working. I think it was down to my laptop mouse driver. I have a touchscreen laptop (Lenovo Yoga 13) and rarely use the touch. I was using the built in trackpad trying to click buttons and nothing would happen. Even to this day, if I click an item in a list, such as a user, it never selects and I never see the context buttons appear at the bottom. However - if I touch them on the screen, they get selected and the buttons appear. Weird...

Same here, with a current 9.2.1.3 on a Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook - latest drivers under MS Windows 8.1 with Chrome 34.0.1847.92 beta-m; everything as recent as it gets. No buttons unless I touch the screen. Huge thanks to TomWaller for finding this out since I never use the touchscreen at all!

Jamie Gruener

Dabbler
True! Never would have guessed that the touchscreen would have caused a FreeNAS UI weirdness in a web browser. Just had a chance to try it again and the buttons appear if I touch the screen. What will they think of next?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
They'll find new ways to shove technology you don't need but is broken down your throat. ;)

-Happily using Windows 7 x64....

Status
Not open for further replies.