Grant access by scp but not for login, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-fun-

Contributor
Hi, is it possible to grant access to a FreeNAS share for download and / or upload of files with scp however deny any interactive login? I would like to create a separate user for this.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
If the login shell for the user is set to "nologin", I think you achieve what you want. That should be a choice in the user-add menu

-fun-

Contributor
Well there is an option "Disable password login" which comes closest but this is not what I need. The guide says: "when checked, disables password logins and authentication to CIFS shares [...]"

There doesn't seem to be an option "nologin" unfortunately.

-fun-

Contributor
Ah, there it is. Thank you!

-fun-

Contributor
Shame on me. In general I do look up things before posting but I missed this one completely. Thanks for pointing me to this!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Shame on me. In general I do look up things before posting but I missed this one completely. Thanks for pointing me to this!
If scp / sftp access is going to be a regular thing, I try to grant it through a jail. It helps prevent accidentally escalating privileges.

-fun-

Contributor
Meanwhile I tested a little and granting scp access is actually not working as required for me. This seems to expose the complete filesystem. I had something in mind that exposes specific shares only.

I can of course create what I need which a jail. But before I go this way: Is there a suitable plugin available for this?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Meanwhile I tested a little and granting scp access is actually not working as required for me. This seems to expose the complete filesystem. I had something in mind that exposes specific shares only.

I can of course create what I need which a jail. But before I go this way: Is there a suitable plugin available for this?
There's no plugin because this is probably the simplest possible use case for a unix file server. All you're doing is adding users, storage, and configuring ssh. Just create a jail.

If you need to really lock things down, you can chroot sftp (ssh file transfer protocol) for the group of users that have access, then only allow them sftp access.

Status
Not open for further replies.