Status
Not open for further replies.

vikozo6

Patron
Hello
the X11SSM-F board there
https://www.brack.ch/supermicro-mainboard-x11ssm-419326

they have as option
Prozessoren Intel E3-1200v5 ohne GPU (skylake)
Prozessoren Intel E3-1200v5 mit GPU (skylake)

for a NAS it is important to have GPU or not? and which clock frequency should i consider to get?
have a nice day
Vinc

zoomzoom

Guru
It depends on what you plan to use it for. FreeNAS is WebGUI driven, and I believe (someone else will need to verify) the only need for a dedicated GPU, versus integrated graphics, is if you'll be using video intensive jails/plugins.

Also, it's recommended to go with the AsRock C2550D4I (~$300) or C2750D4I (~$400), with the C2550D4I in the same price range as the X11SSM-F, albeit after a processor, the C2750D4I would likely be cheaper.
(see post #5)

If you don't already have a case, I always recommend the SilverStone DS380 (~$140).
  • I always recommend SilverStone's CP11 SATA cables ($10/ea Newegg), albeit they're 5x the price of other SATA cables so depending on the budget, they may need to be bought over time or all at once at a later time
    • The CP11's are ~5 smaller than regular SATA cables, making one's life easier in the long run
    • I prefer the 1st gen blue CP11's over the 2nd gen black ones due to a high rate of failure I've had with the black ones. It's entirely possible, since I purchased them all at once, the black ones were simply a bad batch; nonetheless, I prefer the blue ones.

Last edited:

darkwarrior

Patron
Hi there,

from a general point of view you can forget about any CPU with a included GPU ... Completely useless on a Freenas server, especially as the board includes IPMI and an onboard Aspeed GPU chipset. ;)
Depending of your usage scenario you will probably have more benefit from a higher clock speed vs. higher amount of CPU cores. Especially SAMBA likes to have CPU power to serve up CIFS :cool:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The GPU is going to be absolutely useless for the foreseeable future, with FreeNAS.

he only need for a dedicated GPU, versus integrated graphics, is if you'll be using video intensive jails/plugins.
Nope, won't help.
Also, it's recommended to go with the AsRock C2550D4I (~$300) or C2750D4I (~$400),
No way in hell, unless you want to deal with dead boards.

zoomzoom

Guru
zoomzoom said:
Also, it's recommended to go with the AsRock C2550D4I (~$300) or C2750D4I (~$400)

No way in hell, unless you want to deal with dead boards.
I thought that was what the recommendation from the forum was... albeit I read that about a year ago o_O What is the recommended board now?
  • I have the C2750D4I and did have to have it warrantied ~3 months after buying it (~2 years ago), however since I got it back, I've had no issues

vikozo6

Patron
the GPU make 10 SFr. Difference ;-)
Ok this point is now also clear, thanks for the feedbacks

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I thought that was what the recommendation from the forum was... albeit I read that about a year ago o_O What is the recommended board now?
  • I have the C2750D4I and did have to have it warrantied ~3 months after buying it (~2 years ago), however since I got it back, I've had no issues
Search the forums for the saga.

As for recommendations, there's not much new. Xeon-D is nice, but even more expensive. Atom C3000 isn't out yet, and my doubts about its release continue to grow.

Stux

MVP
If you don't already have a case, I always recommend the SilverStone DS380 (~$140).

If you're going to recommend the ds380, you need to include the caveat on it's inadequate out-of-the-box cooling, and ideally a link to a thread on rectifying it with a cardboard baffle.

Stux

MVP
If you get a board with IPMI it comes with a rubbish vga gpu. This is all FreeNAS needs

Status
Not open for further replies.