Status
Not open for further replies.

nemisisak

Explorer
HARDWARE
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (x4)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Boot installer: USB 3.0 sandisk extreme 64Gb (58.4Gb) containing FreeNAS 9.3/ written using win32 disk imager as recommended.
Intended media for installation: USB 3.0 sandisk ultra 64Gb (58.9Gb)
Both cleanly formatted to NTFS on a windows PC before use.

As recomended in the forums I have disabled xHCI in the bios of my server and have legacy usb enabled.

PROBLEM
I have tried a number of times now to try and install onto the sandisk ultra. I have trawled through google but I cant really find an answer to what going on.
I boot through fine to the install, go through the motions, select my USB drive, enter root password, then i get the following error on ce install begins:

da1 destroyed
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1048576 bytes transferred in 0.054741 secs (19155171 bytes/sec)
da1 created
da1p1 added
gpart: autofill: No space left on device
The FreeNAS installation on da1 failed. press enter to continue ..

I have gone through my bios changing different settings and changing auto allocations of the USB to harddrives etc. Reformated the USB and remounted FreeNAS. I have changed my boot installer device using a 4Gb sandisk USB 2.0. Searched around for other ideas but I can't find any. So hoping someone can shed some light. Is it just the sandisk ultra? I don't thave another USB available to check this but if its the probable cause I will try and acquire one.

Thanks in advance.

JoelN

Dabbler
Are you using the latest build (2331)? I had the same error with 2331 using a 16GB Mushkin USB that has always worked well in the past. Even used Minitool Partition Wizard to prepare the USB. Got the "no space left on device" error even though I know the USB is clean with a newly built partition and works perfectly OK otherwise. At the moment I am assuming, perhaps unfairly, that there is some kind of problem with the current build. I have reverted to build 9.3 (2008).

nemisisak

Explorer
Yes i was using the latest build. I will try 9.3 (2008) and report back.

EDIT

Tried the 2008 build and i got exactly the same error. Is it worth trying other builds?

EDIT/2

YES! ok i went right back to 9.3 (2200) and im up and running. Thankyou so much i never would of thought of going for older stable builds.

On a side note, is it worth me trying to go down an upgrade route now i have it installed. Is it worth it in terms of security/added features?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

On a side note, is it worth me trying to go down an upgrade route now i have it installed. Is it worth it in terms of security/added features?

Yes.

zenzei

Cadet
Hi,

I have suffered the exact same error, with FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506162331

- It would not gui-upgrade from 9,2 (some error about no space left, which left the system unbootable).
- It would not even install on a 8GB stick (that worked flawlessly before), with the gpart: autofill: No space left on device

I have downgraded to a fresh install with FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201504152200, and it installs well, so there seems to be a new bug in the installation/update path.

The only thing I have seen that might be a clue (or not, I'm not that much of an expert) is a message about "da1p2 partition not aligned" (or something similar) on the successful install, instead of the "gpart: autofill: No space left on device" error on the unsuccessful ones.

DarkNAS

Dabbler
i also am getting the same error... Does it work to go from 9.3 (2200) and then upgrade to the latest GUI?

Thanks

JoelN

Dabbler
i also am getting the same error... Does it work to go from 9.3 (2200) and then upgrade to the latest GUI?

Thanks

I again got the "no space left on device" error trying to install the latest stable version (2120) on my Mushkin 16GB USB. I added that Mushkin to my growing stack of flash drives that refuse to work with FreeNAS and switched to a Corsair 16GB USB which worked fine - at least for now.

DarkNAS

Dabbler
Does anyone here have a list of recommended flash drives for use with FreeNAS? I posted a help question on installation and mentioned my 16GB mushkin by model and didn't hear any issues with it then. Now I am wondering if that is in fact the current problem I am having

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There isn't really a list (though the question has been asked a few times), mostly because nearly all USB flash drives suck to some extent.

SanDisk and Toshiba drives seem to be reliable, with the former (particularly the tiny but achingly slow Cruzer Fits) being very popular on the forum.

Kingston, on the other hand, is nearly as bad as El-Cheapos and Super-Good-Quality-Totally-not-Chinese-Happy-Star crap.

There's not much data on other brands, but I personally don't trust them unless they either make their own NAND or are big enough to get good NAND - that leaves Lexar (besides SanDisk/Toshiba) in the former category and Corsair in the latter category.

zenzei

Cadet
There isn't really a list (though the question has been asked a few times), mostly because nearly all USB flash drives suck to some extent.
Kingston, on the other hand, is nearly as bad as El-Cheapos and Super-Good-Quality-Totally-not-Chinese-Happy-Star crap.

That has been my experience too - I managed to get FreeNAS working on a 16GB Kingston drive (starting with base 9.3 release, and then GUI upgrades)... only to later get a few scrub errors on the USB! Strange thing is, the files were ok (checked them against the original files), but I'm not trusting that USB drive anymore....

zenzei

Cadet
by the way, I tried the new 201506232120 install from scratch on my USB and it is working flawlessly - my previous difficulties with 201506162331 gone. Good to see things improve!

DrumNBisco

Dabbler
I was getting the same error (gpart: autofill: No space left on device) with a new Corsair Voyager Slider 16GB flash drive and FreeNAS 9.3 201506232120 and 201506292332. I followed another users suggestion and used build 201504152200 and the install completed successfully. If it helps I have a supermicro X10SLL with E3-1220V3 Haswell processor and 24 gbs of ram.

I've been using this hardware since 9.1 without issue and had to reinstall due to a bad flash drive (adata).

THHeil

Cadet
FYI : I'm seeing the same problem installing from USB to EMTec 16GB USB drive.

Following the error, gpart shows:

# gpart show da1
34 30282941 da1 GPT (14G)
34 8190 - free - (4M)
8224 1024 1 bios-boot (512k)
9248 30273727 - free - (14G)

Using FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292332.

Reading thru the posts, the solution seems to be try a different
version of FreeNas or a different USB drive. What should the
partition structure look like if it worked correctly?

NineFingers

Explorer
So, no solution other than "try another installer" or another USB drive? I've tried a few of the various 9.3 installers from June, and none work. I've tried installing onto a few different Mushkin USB drives. They're all I have available, and they worked for 9.2.1.8, so I wouldn't think that's the problem.

Help??

aufalien

Patron
Hi,

I thought to update this thread as the latest 201509282017 works fine. No gpart errors regarding autofill.

Thanks FreeNAS devs!

Status
Not open for further replies.