SOLVED Good practice to reinstall

derWalter

Explorer
Some may remember my struggle to fight the "Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network. " error.

It somehow fixed itself and everything worked, till it suddenly reappeared. So I was sitting like a duck, waiting for 21.08 to hit the surface and somehow manage
to login and upgrade to it. I thought this will fix my problems for sure, but it didn't, even worse, it somehow crashed my nextcloud, which is now totally unrecoverable,
dunno how that went.

So, my plan is to start from scratch, so is there a guide of good practice how to reinstall everything without loosing my local data?

Till now I didn't care about backup, cause I ve spread the important files over several locations and devices via nextcloud sync,
but while I am getting at it, I would also like to implement some kind of backup which lets me easily roll back if I should encounter I problem,
like I did with nextcloud, which just died and didn't give me any error, with clean log files and just not working anymore, even after reinstall...

Last edited:

derWalter

Explorer
well, well, well, it was easier as I thought...

just did a fresh install and setup everything,

I went the extra mile of exporting the pools,
but one didnt want to be exported so I went without it...
as this needs to work in a hardware loss scenario,
it wasnt necessary at all and worked without a problem.

so if you should run in the same problem as I did,
just go for a fresh install, scale imports the pools and
data is fine. but if you can, always backup first.
I couldn't but ended up being fine.