Good build for Freenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotalRecall

Dabbler
A build im thinking of for freenas specs:

Motherboard: SuperMicro X7DVL-3 Server Motherboard
Spec Link: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000V/X7DVL-3.cfm
Ram: 16gb ( DDR2 ECC 533MHz )
CPU: x2 ( dual) Xeon X5482
Storage: 7200rpm harddrives. maybe added raid/ pci to sata card for more hdds...

Is this a good build for a freenas? I mainly want to build this cause 1. its cheap, 2. i want to say i have dual cpus on one mobo lol.

Total price is around 147.99 out of pocket really, not including 16gb 533MHz ECC ram / psu, hdds. and everything else i didnt mention.

Would this do the job good? Or could you tell me a better build (minus dual cpus) that would be more performance / cheaper or same price.

Basically i want to know if this is even remotely a smart build. main reason for this setup is i want dual cpus, never had dual cpus, even if low powered ect. But if i can get a single cpu / setup for around the same price and same ram/ better let me know (please & thanks).

GrumpyBear

Contributor
8 year old CPU. $300/8GB qualified memory. Front-side bus with potential issues. Probably cheaper and less pain to get one of the X10 boards off the hardware recommendations sticky (hint - read that before posting) and a Haswell if you need a Xeon when you add up the cost of Mobo, CPU and memory.

marbus90

Guru
Nope, don't buy X7 hardware. Too old and hot. Get at least X8 generation with DDR3.

TotalRecall

Dabbler
Nope, don't buy X7 hardware. Too old and hot. Get at least X8 generation with DDR3.
What about Dual xeon x5680? ddr3, 12cores, 24 threads.
or even cheaper dual xeon x5650's tho clocked at 2.6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.