Game library dedicated NAS

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
Looking to build a dedicated NAS for my game library. I've already got an iSCSI test system up and it seems to work well (at least on BFV) but now I'm looking to plan and build a proper system. I've got a rough idea of what I want to do.

My test system is currently TrueNAS Scale, SUPERMICRO MBD-A1SRi-2758F-O, 16GB RAM and 2 WD Red 4TB mirrored. I also use a cache drive on my pc with PrimoCache, that helped heaps with lag.

I'm thinking a build on Scale again with an Intel 1245 v5 (have this already), 32 - 64GB RAM and 10g fibre through a MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN, was thinking Intel x520 nics (assuming Scale plays nice).

The only thing I'm really stuck on is if I want to go HDD or 2.5" SSD, either way I was going to go RAIDZ2, I know it's not the fastest but at least I'll have redundancy. I'd probably go 4, 4TB Reds or 4 - 6 SSDs and add more when and if I need. I don't need a ton of storage right now, about 4.5TB for every game on Steam, Origin etc.

If I go SSD I'll probably be using something like the SilverStone FS212B 12x2.5" (unless I can get a 24 bay 2u chassis that isn't $2000 AUD) which is 12 sata so I know I'll need a SAS expander but not sure what to go for that. HDD I'll just get another Supermicro 826. I'm leaning toward SSD although I know it'll probably saturate 10g and cost a hell of a lot more.

So yeah any help especially from people who have done this kind of thing before would be great.

Thanks.