G3260 in Supermicro X10SLL-F?

Status
Not open for further replies.

divB

Dabbler
Hi,

Does anyone know if G3260 works in (current) Supermicro X10SLL-F?

Why is there no compatibility list? (there is one about RAM on the Supermicro site).
My research is brings unclear results; early versions do not seem to support is but supposedly a current BIOS (which I would hope would be in place if I get it now; otherwise I return it) supports it.

The problem is that only G3260 is readily available here; the rest is either horribly expensive or not available for many days or weeks. I need it in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
divB

Evertb1

Guru
Hi,

Does anyone know if G3260 works in (current) Supermicro X10SLL-F?

Why is there no compatibility list? (there is one about RAM on the Supermicro site).
My research is brings unclear results; early versions do not seem to support is but supposedly a current BIOS (which I would hope would be in place if I get it now; otherwise I return it) supports it.

The problem is that only G3260 is readily available here; the rest is either horribly expensive or not available for many days or weeks. I need it in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
divB
The G3260 is a LGA1150 CPU and it is supported by the X10SLL-F. If you go to the site of SuperMicro to the specifications of that motherboard you will see that it supports all Pentium CPU's for the LGA1150 socket. As that CPU also supports ECC memory it is not a bad budget choise for a FreeNAS box. Just keep in mind that it will not be a powerhouse.

Inxsible

Guru
If you will return motherboards that do not have the latest BIOS firmware, you will probably take a long time to find a board unless you buy a board that was recently released. Just update the BIOS using FreeDOS or if you have IPMI, then it becomes even easier.

divB

Dabbler
Well, I've heard a lot of fuzz about CPU compatibility of Supermicro that many of them would not be compatible or need BIOS upgrades.

Meanwhile I ordered and hope it will be OK because I am in a tight time schedule. The CPU itself was just 60 EUR which is OK and next time I may upgrade to a more expensive Xeon that supports vPro etc too.

How do you mean to upgrade using FreeDOS? I thought when the CPU is not supported the system won't even start and hence I would not perform a BIOS upgrade?

Also: What do mean mean by "have IPMI"? The X10SLL has IPMI by definition which is the main reason why I bought this. Does this work if the CPU is not supported in the first place?

Inxsible

Guru
That was just a general statement. Your Pentium should have no issues with the board that you have selected.

Also, IPMI allows you to upgrade the BIOS without having to create a BIOS boot disk and what not. Supermicro has an option to upgrade the BIOS through IPMI, although you have to buy a $20 license to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.