FTP transfer delay between files (ACK SYN-ACK ACK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny81

Contributor
Running freenas 8.2 with FTP.

Did all I could do with my Cisco 3550 switch was get my transfer speeds up to about 120mbps. Considering where it was last year, that's a nice jump in performance.

However, when transferring numerous files, the transfer speed is fine, but there's a 1-3second delay between the sending of one file and another.

I'm using Filezilla and increased my max transfer settings to 10 (was 1).

Also, I checked out my nic traffic with WireShark and all I'm really seeing is the acknowledgement messages between my freenas ftp server & desktop.

Filezilla says I have my config "correct" within the softwware and my solution might be a platform patch.

So here I am. Anyone have any similar issues with their ftp (and of course what solution worked for them)?

Appreciate it.

-Sonny

sonny81

Contributor
Oh and sorry this is specifically for uploads w/in my LAN

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know about you, but when I've used local FTPs in the past(not FreeNAS) I've always had a delay of 1-3 seconds while it establishes a new connection before it starts downloading a file. That's why if I am planning to move alot of files I'll do 2-3 simultaneous connections at the same time.

sonny81

Contributor
Yes there's always been a delay, but it was always after a larger # of transfers. I always put in for 10 simultaneous connections and my FreeNAS ftp used to be quite fast. I'm thinking there's something misconfigured with the max simultaneous connections. I'm trying out CuteFTP Pro right now as it allows more than Filezilla's 10 simultaneous connections.

Only change that this system has had was a reinstall of Filezilla (which is why I find it ironic that they're blaming FreeNAS :/)

I'll change my Freenas FTP service settings and reflect those changes in CuteFTP. I'll post the results; good, bad, or indifferent.

sonny81

Contributor
Adjusted Freenas to 50 connections allowed & used CuteFTP Pro with 50 simultaneous connections as well.

I'd get 120Mbps on a decent day with one large movie file - CuteFTP is posting transfer speeds of 298Mbps with the lowest speed being 204Mbps (there's been 30 second spikes of over 500Mbps as well...long explanation short, this 200GB Adobe Lightroom catalogue is transferring FAST!).

Think its safe to say the issue is solved :)

titan_rw

Guru
Ftp is not great at transferring lots of small files. I usually ssh in and create a tar or rar of the directory in question, then transfer that with ftp. Plus that makes it easier to validate the transfer, as md5'ing one tar file is quicker / easier than lots of tiny files in many different directories.

sonny81

Contributor
Ftp is not great at transferring lots of small files. I usually ssh in and create a tar or rar of the directory in question, then transfer that with ftp. Plus that makes it easier to validate the transfer, as md5'ing one tar file is quicker / easier than lots of tiny files in many different directories.

Hmm that's a great point about "zipping" them. My main question about that is if there's any program that verifies a successful zip? My fear is something going wrong during the process.

Thanks for the insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.