SOLVED FTP read only access problems

Artichoke

Dabbler
I have a small TrueNAS server set up and I can access my files over SMB. I want to access it through the internet to I want to access it via FTP as well. FTP successfully connects but I cannot read/write to any of the files. I am guessing that I have something wrong with the permissions my users and groups?
I can give any details required but there are so many I could give but I don't know which ones so please let me know what details to post here.
Things I have done already:
  • Tested on Mac, Win10 and Ubuntu 20.04
  • Added FTP group to the user
  • Set all folders to Read Write Execute in FTP settings
  • Tried setting Read Write Execute to all of the users home folder
  • Create a group called ftpuser and add it to the desired user
permissions
edit: I should also note that when i say read/write, I can still see the files but I cannot open them and edit them. e.g. I can see an image file, but I cannot open it. on a Mac it just says "Preview was unable to open this file."

repost from StackExchange here due to lack of attention.

Artichoke

Dabbler
Does anybody have any ideas? I have been stuck on this for a while now and I'm stumped for a solution.

Artichoke

Dabbler
Permissions for the user I am trying to set up and FTP:

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 4.32.59 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 4.34.30 pm.png

sretalla