Freeze on adding tunables

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Katsak

Dabbler
Hello,

I am trying to play with some tunables on my new box. For some reason, each tunable I add locks up the box, but then after a power cycle, everything seems to work. Any obvious reason for this? Do I need to wait longer?

Version is 9.2.1.6-RELEASE.

First tunable I added was xhci_load=YES, froze, but on reboot the USB 3.0 came up.
Second was vfs.zfs.arc_max=512M (for benchmarking without much cache). Again, froze, and upon reboot, arc_max was working properly.

I haven't seen much of anything on the forum about this. Googling shows a complaint about freezing here, but back in version 8. something.

Thanks for any help.

-Bill

titan_rw

Guru
How long are you waiting after adding the tunable? For some reason some combination of usb flash drives, and usb controllers cause at least a 5 minute delay after adding a tunable.

If it's been 10+ minutes, then I'd say it's frozen. Otherwise give it time.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've never personally seen it freeze completely. Every time I've dealt with this one-on-one remotely it was a case where the user wasn't patient enough.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've never personally seen it freeze completely. Every time I've dealt with this one-on-one remotely it was a case where the user wasn't patient enough.

To be fair, some people have reported such operations taking close to 15 minutes - with everything else being 100% normal, including the boot process.

William Katsak

Dabbler
Update: I finally reinstalled my box with a SATA DOM instead of a USB key, and adding the xhci tunable was virtual instantaneous.

Status
Not open for further replies.