FreenNAS running native on Ubuntu and other linux flavours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skywolf

Cadet
Hello,

Hey, it's interesting. I would be really interested in having FreeNAS on my linux. I like FreeNAS but FreeSD ... not for me.
Are your work downloadable ? public git ?

Thanks and regards.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hello,

Hey, it's interesting. I would be really interested in having FreeNAS on my linux. I like FreeNAS but FreeSD ... not for me.

Thanks and regards.

You clearly have no idea what FreeNAS really is.

Go ahead and try to port all the work to Linux. It's on Git.

J

jkh

Hello,

Thanks and regards.
It will be easier if you rewrite everything in QML, then you can run on Ubuntu's App platform. FreeNAS for the phone! It's what's all the cool kids are doing. Let us know how it works out.

Skywolf

Cadet
It will be easier if you rewrite everything in QML, then you can run on Ubuntu's App platform. FreeNAS for the phone! It's what's all the cool kids are doing. Let us know how it works out.
Hello,

Thanks for your answer.
I don't know QML.
And I'm not really interested in rewriting everything, I prefer to take something that have already been ported.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Whoa, really usefully post .... Fortunately you were there.

Why did you ask, if you clearly are not ready to take "no" for an answer?

FreeNAS is not something you can just install on your favorite OS. You can take it, leave it, or do the herculean task of porting it yourself.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The validity of the question should have been obvious to the casual observer. A "FreeNAS core member" (aka developer) wrote this very short, very sweet, and very accurate response:

No interest, sorry.

It's a massive undertaking, and anyone asking about it clearly has no understanding of the amount of work involved with porting it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@jafery,

That transition to linux never happened.

0.7 was the last release made under that project. Before a 0.8 was released iXsystems bought the "FreeNAS" name. The 0.7 code was updated (kept on FreeBSD too) and was rebranded as NAS4Free. The FreeNAS name then had the entire codebase basically rewritten from scratch and started with 8.0.

So not only is the "FreeNAS" code that was mentioned in that slashdot article moved to NAS4Free, the current FreeNAS software we are using here isn't even the same code from that article. The developer Volker Theile also moved to the NAS4Free project. Some info is http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php

AFAIK there are no forks of FreeNAS to linux, past or present. Considering the licensing issues with the ZFS on linux project, there may be legal difficulties with having a "FreeNAS on linux" project.

Status
Not open for further replies.