FreeNAS with Raspberry Pi. Is It Possible?

BAAC

Cadet
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and answer my query. With the important caveats you mentioned and should one wish to test FreeNAS/TrueNAS on an 8 Gb RBPi running FreeBSD, would there happen to be a step-by-step install guide or sticky I could follow? Am I to use TrueNAS Core' or Legacy FreeNAS' repository?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You would have to adapt the TrueNAS build process to build an ARM version and see what breaks.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Good luck. Getting all that to compile would be quite the achievement. Perhaps pair it with a external disk enclosure in JBOD mode?

I would not trust it with important data on account of hitting the trifecta of marginally-supported stuff, ie non-standard CPU with little RAM, using a USB interface to talk to the external enclosure, and a JBOD port multiplier in said enclosure.

Arwen

MVP
@BAAC - I agree with @Constantin's comments, most of us use TrueNAS for the reliability of both the OS and data storage.

Unless you have software experience with FreeBSD & ZFS, you are better served by using your Raspberry Pi with Linux and it's native RAID, volume manager and file systems. Compared to FreeBSD, Linux on Pi probably has millions times more power on hours than does FreeBSD on Pi.

(Of course, my 3 Linux computers, desktop, media server and laptop all use ZFS... but, hey, I support my own computers. And backup, backup, ... and did I mention backup?)

ChrisRJ

Wizard
@BAAC , why do you want to run TrueNAS on a Raspberry Pi?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Why did Mallory try multiple times to climb Everest? “Because it’s there!” :smile:

even better, a failure to compile / operate will only cost you a few hours of life vs. running out of oxygen at the top of the world.

BAAC

Cadet
@BAAC , why do you want to run TrueNAS on a Raspberry Pi?

Thank you all for taking the time to provide me with your inputs: much appreciated! My intention was to build a DIY NAS featuring a userfriendly GUI on a systemd-free distribution or OS - hence my interest for FreeBSD as a linux alternative and TrueNAS as a solution based on such an OS - and also avoid Intel / AMD CPUs as much as possible for being the mainstream notoriously backdoored hardware they are. I am aware of the more accessible OMV alternative on RBPi but it requires systemd as far as I know. Arwen's advice is right: I am clearly out of my depth here. And I fully get the SBCs like the RBPi hardly meet TrueNAS's requirements if at all and that they would not make reliable backup solutions anyway. I just felt like giving it a shot for the sake of experimenting.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I am unconvinced that any of the ARM microprocessors are any less prone to being penetrated in one way or the other. The various approaches that have been used successfully against amd and Intel are not limited to these platforms.

the pi was not designed as a secure processor board the way that the Sony playstations were for example. And yet the “secure” Sony motherboard was eventually cracked anyway.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I am unconvinced that any of the ARM microprocessors are any less prone to being penetrated in one way or the other. The various approaches that have been used successfully against amd and Intel are not limited to these platforms.
They are limited to platforms that do out of order execution. This is the big lie of contemporary computing. We still teach programming even at university level as if the control flow was exactly as written down by the code. The mental model is still that of a PDP-11.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Hah. Worked on one of those in high school, a VAX750 PDP-11. Good times, struggling with the Reel-to-Reel magnetic tape machine to perform backups. Fun how they used a vacuum to keep the tape tension where they wanted it. The machine was decommissioned shortly thereafter and sold for scrap to a student who put it in his basement.

Agreed re: out of order execution. It's one way to take advantage of multiple cores even if the programmer just used a single-thread programming approach, right?

To think that iTunes still cannot rip more than 1 CD at a time or update the metadata associated with a iTunes file faster than 1 file at a time. Or the vast parts of Excel that still cannot take advantage of multiple cores, like data tables (of all things....).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Agreed re: out of order execution. It's one way to take advantage of multiple cores even if the programmer just used a single-thread programming approach, right?
Absolutely. It is what chip manufacturers came up with to make single threaded in-order code run faster while pretending nothing had changed. While C and Unix have had a tremendous positive impact in terms of abstraction and models and a better understanding of the OS to hardware interface, they also sealed what can be successfully brought to market as an API.

Graphics cards show that we (humanity, software developers, computer science as a profession) can deal with high parallelism, strict in-order execution, and just new programming models. It (to my knowledge) just never happened in the area of the general purpose OS.

I abso..inglutely love Unix. But I think we must abandon the mental model to make some real progress. The sooner the less painful. Multithreading while not "easy" isn't particularly hard, either. It's hard in C and POSIX.

Constantin

Vampire Pig

darkmode

Dabbler
Nice I just discovered this thread. I am also mildly interested in a ARM64. The journey would be interesting since my other ARM project builds have lower memory requirements than its x86 counterparts. I'm curious as to how the memory requirements might change for a TrueNAS Core build.

Also note that the Raspberry Pi CM4's have up to 8GB ECC memory.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The journey would be interesting since my other ARM project builds have lower memory requirements than its x86 counterparts. 'm curious as to how the memory requirements might change for a TrueNAS Core build.

FreeNAS needs RAM for both the middleware (*cough* bloatware) and for ZFS ARC and TXG groups. You might save a little memory on the middleware, but the ARC caching requirements are going to be the same.

sretalla