FreeNAS with one Hard Disk possible?

Patuff

Cadet
Hello lovely iXcom,
first, i am new to free NAS!

I bought an old HP Elite Tower 8300 cmt. I know, its just 4GB RAM and its 8GB RAM recommended.
I will add it soon.
I just wanted to try if i can bring my IP cameras into FreeNAS for Security.

FreeNAS installed, and can be used via Web Browser.

So, i just have a 500 GB HDD. I was like, no problem, in youtube video people can also use one HDD so i gonna try it before i buy a NAS HDD.
But when i am in the NAS Web Browser, i cannot add any pool. My one and main HDD doesnt show up.

I hope, there no Informations missed.
Thank you in advance!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Unfortunately, you can't use the same drive for both the OS and a storage pool.

Samuel Tai

Thank you! Found different answers. So there is not an trick to do that, even with another programms?

There are various hacks to force usage of partitions of a single drive, but these are fragile, and you can easily lose data. If you want to experiment with FreeNAS while you research proper hardware, you can install the OS on a USB thumb drive, and then you can assign the hard drive for your storage pool.

Patuff

Cadet
There are various hacks to force usage of partitions of a single drive, but these are fragile, and you can easily lose data. If you want to experiment with FreeNAS while you research proper hardware, you can install the OS on a USB thumb drive, and then you can assign the hard drive for your storage pool.

Yea, for the beginning it would matter. Just testing. But with ISO on USB i will need a second USB right?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You would need a USB thumbdrive anyway to pull any of the tricks to partition your hard disk, so might as well continue to run FreeNAS from it ...

Samuel Tai

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Or use a VM on your desktop to boot from image file and install to USB. You do not need to install on the machine dedicated to run FreeNAS later.