Possible FreeNas Setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEBR101

Cadet
Hi peeps

First time user of freenas....well sort of. I used it a couple of years back but found that it didnt fit my needs at that time.

but that has all changed now. I've come in to a bit of money and thought I'd upgrade from my Netgear "stora" 2TB media server to Freenas.

Ill tell you what I've bought first and then what I'd like to do.

RAM: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-10600 Unbuffered UDIMM 240 Pin Memory Module Kit
OS STORAGE: Transcend 4GB JetFlash 300 USB Drive
TOWER: NZXT Source 210 ELITE Midtower Case with 3.0 USB - White
EXTRA (FRONT)FANS: (2x) Arctic Cooling Arctic F12
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit
HDD: (2x) WD Green 4TB Desktop Internal SATA Hard Drive - OEM
CPU: Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz Processor, Socket 1155, L3 3MB, Sandy Bridge, 32nm
M.B: ASRock H77M Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel H77, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX)

I havent booted it up yet because I'm waiting on the RAM to be delivered but everything else is setup.

I've installed freenas on to the 4gb usb drive

My idea is that the tower has space for 8 internal drives so ill use the same WD green 4TB drives in each bay when i need to add some more space.

Now, I've been doing some research and see that freenas uses the Raid set up. 0,1,2,3 etc

im not looking to back up any files on the drives and basically want to use all the space available. It looked like RAID 0 would be my only option.

My questions are:

1. Can I just add Hdd at will and make a new pool (if i can) each time i add a new HDD or would i have to add it to the pool i already have?
(by the sounds of raid 0 stripping. it wouldnt work that way)

2. Id also like to ask you guys if my setup (i.e. the PSU and adding extra sata pci slots along the way) can take the 8 hdd set up. and maybe making it to 15 hdd with this little baby (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/icy-box-ib-555ssk-for-5x-35-sata-sas-hdd-backplane-into-3x-525-bays) in to my 3 x 5.25 bays

the only thing that scares me is that after ive added in, lets say just the 8 drives and one of them dies at some point. i dont want to loose all my data on all 8 drives.

i dont mind having 8 separate drives on my network. not ideal but id rather have one drive die and the rest are alright and just have one pool than just having them all stripped.

Ive also done some research in to the other type of RAID and found that none of them really suit my needs. I basically want all the space i paid for. but dont want to loose 32TB of data if one HDD dies.

I think thats everything. but if i think of any else ill message straight away.

Thanks in advance

Z

ZEBR101

Cadet
oh and i thought id add that i want to make sure that the fans are good enough to keep all the drives at a reasonable temp

Status
Not open for further replies.