FreeNAS user permission problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetster

Dabbler
I shutdown a desktop for the day. Booted back up and it cant access FreeNAS server using the Windows UNC path. All the other desktops do still
Maybe IP changed on the desktop? not sure what going on, messed with the permissions I can get to a folder "Home and User" but not the folder I want

I'm new to this so any help would be appreciated

And I have it set to Guest Allowed also

Redcoat

MVP
Is the desktop running W10? Did it get an update and is now showing this issue and/or this one?

Last edited:

jetster

Dabbler
Installed 1709 months ago so I don't think it's the problem but I will check later when I get home

Plus all my desktops are running 10 .1709 .But I may have missed something.

jetster

Dabbler
Okay so I checked the smb2 and activated the service. Did not fix the problem. I created a new smb share and that fixed it. Not sure if that's correct but I can access the folder now. Still can't map it though but that's fine. In really struggling to understand permissions and shares

jetster

Dabbler
SO when I try to drag files from the FreeNAS to the Synology I lose the FreeNAS server and have to reboot it

Only if I grab a bunch at a time. If I do it one or two it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Please describe the FreeNAS hardware, particularly how much memory it has.

Redcoat

MVP
I infer that you are using W10 File Explorer to open the folder on FreeNAS that you can now see, selecting files, and dragging them to a Synology that you can also see in W10 File Explorer? And the network connection with FreeNAS is lost during the attempted transfer?
Is this a new issue that started coincident with your difficulty with one W10 machine that you described in your original post? Is the W10 machine on which you are attempting the transfer that which had the original problem? If so, have you tried another machine and what happened?
What motherboard in your FreeNAS server and what sort of NIC?
Any messages in the console window at the bottom of the GUI when FreeNAS loses connection?
When FreeNAS loses connection is the GUI still responsive?

Nick2253

Wizard
Also, do you have the same problem if you connect via \\<ip address> vs the UNC name?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
My thinking was that you might be running out of memory, but with that much it is not likely to be a problem unless you have some VMs eating it. Still, the locking up thing would suggest running a memory test.

Nick2253

Wizard
suggest running a memory test
If you can afford to bring your system offline for a day, this is a really good troubleshooting step. Since you don't have ECC memory, you have no way of knowing if you're having any memory errors, so this is really the only way to be sure that you have good memory. Weird lockups and odd behavior can be caused by a number of things, but ruling out memory errors is an easy first step, and without stable hardware, it's impossible to try and troubleshoot anything with settings/software.

Redcoat

MVP

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Could this be the recently reported memory leak issue in bug 28433
Possible, but usually that manifests after the system has been up for a while. Something gets flaky when a heavy load is put on it. For that matter, this could be due to a weak or low-quality power supply, with more activity on the drives pushing it over the line in terms of load or ripple.

jetster

Dabbler
To to answer your questions:
FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE
Prior to this build I tested all the hardware including Memtest86 on the memory for 24 hrs
ASUS H81I Plus/ with the Realtek® RTL8111G, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller
Corsair VS 400 PSU
No VM running, just a jail with Plex

All the system connected are W10 but I have a W7 laptop and Ill try a UNC transfer from there

When transfer to the FreeNAS from the Synology I transferred 3 Tb without issue

Also these are all Video files 4 Gb and larger with some 12Gb. Would a 128 Gb SSD cashe help?

Thanks for the suggestions, Ill report back after trying a few things. Might even run Memtest again

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
@wblock , what about this Realtek NIC? I see some discussion about recent drivers (1.97) in the FreeBSD forum but nothing encouraging.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It could possibly be the NIC, although I would not expect drivers to regress. They do sometimes, though.

jetster

Dabbler
Might be premature. But I did a UNC transfer from a Windows 7 laptop and 300Gb without a error. Come to think of it all the problems I have had were from the same W 10 machine.
Time will tell, Ill do a large transfer tonight. Thanks

Nick2253

Wizard
Memory check on that W10 machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.