FreeNAS Update to 11.1-Release causes kernel panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

notjoe

Explorer
I just applied the FreeNAS update which upgraded the base OS to FreeBSD 11.1 and now I am receiving a kernel panic when trying to boot.

2017-12-13 23.04.06.jpg

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What hardware are you using? How are your pools configured? What's the output of zpool status after a scrub?

notjoe

Explorer
What hardware are you using? How are your pools configured? What's the output of zpool status after a scrub?

It's a Dell R710
128GB worth of memory
2x 6core Intel processors.
Zpool consists of 4x5TB in Raidz configuration + 1 5tb + 15tb.
Disclaimer: I know its not an ideal configuration but for my home Plex machine it does the job fine until I lose a drive and need to rebuild it.

Not sure I saw a scrub take place but I could always boot off a USB and try it out. Everything was fine prior to the date and the pool was healthy.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Everything was fine prior to the date and the pool was healthy.
How could you tell if you don't know if it got scrubbed?

jeroeng

Cadet
Same problem here, only much earlier in the boot process.
Virtualized on ESXi 6.5; whitebox.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 08.30.00.png

rs225

Guru
One in doneq2, and the other in taskq. Could there be a kernel bug or corruption problem going on?

D

dlavigne

If either of you create a bug report, please paste the issue number here.

notjoe

Explorer
I reverted to 11.0-U4, sadly have no time to further look into it.

Did you by chance notice whether one of your disks is missing? This might be related a previous thread I started where 5 our of 6 drives presented themselves without issues but the 6th is completely MIA. When I say MIA i mean only on the OS level as the HBA enumerates all drives just fine.

After some googling I cam across this on the FreeBSD mailing list. I'm not sure if it is the problem of FreeBSD or FreeNAS though.

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=221075

What I can say is that all disks are seen by FreeBSD 11.0 while one is MIA in 11.1

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/disk-goes-missing-when-updating-to-nightly.59490/

jeroeng

Cadet
It panicked even before the disks would be recognized, so I can't tell. Sorry.

notjoe

Explorer
It panicked even before the disks would be recognized, so I can't tell. Sorry.
No worries. That is indeed very odd. There seems to be a whole whack of weirdness in 11.1. Most of it goes away in 12 from what I've read so far.

Cheejyg

Dabbler
This also happened to me recently and I still can't find the root cause of the problem, because you really can't do much at that point and I don't have that much experience.

But how I fixed mine was booting into an older version of FreeNAS, preferably the 11.0-RELEASE snapshot.
*remember to backup your geli.key and geli_recovery.key if you have encrypted drives.*
and just staying on 11.0 lol

*a point to note also is that my server had been restarting unexpectedly (similar to pressing the reset button) before the eventual "db>" error*

Status
Not open for further replies.