Freenas System BackUP to Harddrive on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahma92

Cadet
Hey guys i have a small Problem. I am trying to figure out how i can make a Systembackup of my Freenas System with all my configurations to a external Harddrive that is connected to my PC. I read the documentation and tried to find it in the Forum but without success.
If i have to connect the Harddrive directly to my Freenas Server, that is also possible.
I am using freenas 9.3 and a HP Pro Liant n54L Server with 8GB RAM annd 4x3TB WD Harddrives.
I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

Fraoch

Patron
Just the FreeNAS configuration, or all the data?

If it's just the configuration, go to System - General - Save Config. This downloads a small file (a few hundred kB). In the event you lose your FreeNAS OS, just reinstall FreeNAS, import your pool and upload this config file.

If you're talking about backing up all the data, that's a lot more complicated and there's no standardized way. I was just reading this thread, for example:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...or-home-user-involving-a-freenas.26751/unread

but as this is not built into FreeNAS you're on your own with a solution, and there are many ways to go about it.

Wahma92

Cadet
For my System BackUP, i just want to make a BackUP from my configuration.
For the BackUP from my data, my Files that i uploaded in my Freenas, i am going to use Rsync. That shold do the trick but i am going to need to watch into that later and i am going to lock at your post for it.

Fraoch

Patron
Sounds good. I believe @cyberjock made a script to automatically save the configuration file at regular intervals, perhaps you can find it. It would be useful if you made many configuration changes day-to-day.

Status
Not open for further replies.