FreeNAS Sync to Onedrive with Cloud Sync on FreeNAS

Ryan_21

Cadet
I noticed in the freenas legacy on 11.2 beta 1 that Microsoft Onedrive has been added with the Freenas Cloud Sync Service but I don't know how to get an access code could somebody guide me how to do this in depth.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
you will need to run rclone config

As you run through the steps in a shell on FreeNAS, you find that you need to have rclone running on another machine that can open a browser to get you to the end.

When asked if you are on a remote or headless machine, this is the point where you select no (not auto) and are prompted to run a command on the machine with a browser and give the output to the process on FreeNAS to continue.

I didn't get there yet as I need to get to my own systems at home to go further, but you may be able to work it out by just following the steps.

Ryan_21

Cadet
you will need to run rclone config

As you run through the steps in a shell on FreeNAS, you find that you need to have rclone running on another machine that can open a browser to get you to the end.

When asked if you are on a remote or headless machine, this is the point where you select no (not auto) and are prompted to run a command on the machine with a browser and give the output to the process on FreeNAS to continue.

I didn't get there yet as I need to get to my own systems at home to go further, but you may be able to work it out by just following the steps.
Yes but I want to use the inbuilt with in the Gui.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180725-191418_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180725-191418_Chrome.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 4,519
  • Screenshot_20180725-191435_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180725-191435_Chrome.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 4,717

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Ryan_21 said:
Yes but I want to use the inbuilt with in the Gui.

Right. And to do that, you need the token that comes from doing what I mentioned.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I can now confirm that I have used the method I mention above to produce the token and used it with success to create a sync (in the GUI) from FreeNAS 11.2 Beta1 to Onedrive personal.

All of the command line interactions with rclone are clear and relatively easy to read. the token is a big one, but it's clear where it starts and ends (the curly braces need to be included in what you paste back from your browser-enabled machine).

I personally used a Pine64 running debian (arm64) to have rclone on a box with a browser, so needed to download the .deb package from debian.org and install it with dpkg... I didn't do any searching on availability for MacOS or windows (nor any other linux variant), but I presume they exist and could be used in the same way. Also TrueOS could be an option if you really like FreeBSD.

I don't think Onedrive supports non-secure communication, so it's my assumption that data in transit is encrypted... someone to confirm if that's interesting to do.

danb35

Hall of Famer
When asked if you are on a remote or headless machine, this is the point where you select no (not auto) and are prompted to run a command on the machine with a browser
Or, IIRC (from setting up Google Drive with rclone), you answer yes and it gives you a URL to visit on a machine with a browser, which doesn't need to run rclone. Although this may vary depending on the backend.

Really seems kind of an awkward way to do the setup, though.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
IIRC (from setting up Google Drive with rclone), you answer yes and it gives you a URL to visit on a machine with a browser, which doesn't need to run rclone. Although this may vary depending on the backend.

Based on what I saw, it seemed that rclone establishes a secure connection and then offers the url on a port (that I didn't note and may be random) on https://127.0.0.1:port/... to connect to. it mentions that url if the automatic launching of it doesn't work, but I don't see how this could work on a machine not running that process from rclone... so seems for that specific backend, it's not so clean (although not really that complicated since the token is then portable to as many FreeNAS or other boxes as you want as far as I can see and only really took me 10 minutes from start to finish to do).

danb35

Hall of Famer
I wonder if the rclone integration (at least by 11.2 stable) will allow for encryption using existing keys. I have 20+ TB backed up to Google Drive and encrypted using rclone at the command line, but it'd be nice to have automated jobs handle ongoing synchronization without having to re-upload everything.

nathank1989

Contributor
Would anyone mind pointing to a guide for how to achieve this? I'm not quite sure what all the steps and commands are based off the information in this thread.

sretalla